Brisket Point

RKruger

TVWBB Member
OK, I have completed many high heat brisket cooks and have had good success with them. One of the chief complaints comes from people who get the point. I decided today that I would smoke a packer and then separate the point and try burnt ends. After pulling the brisket, I immediately started trying to remove the point. I have no earthly idea where it is... Please someone give me the crayon / stick figure version of how to find it. I have read and searched this site for it but for some reason the explanations haven’t worked for me yet. This is getting really frustrating. I may need to remove one before I cook it just to get the visual.

Bob - Below is a pic of one that I removed (point is on the bottom). I looked for a better pic for your reference, but this was the only one I had.

IMG_1627a.jpg

I've yet to remove one prior to cooking, but once cooked and you start slicing it off, just follow the thick vein of fat. There is a huge one between the flat/point. If you've seen pictures of people slicing the whole packer (or done it yourself), you will see the difference separated by the vein. When I remove after cooking, start cutting, and then slice slowly and just follow the fat. You'll know when you cut too deep and get into the flat.

Sometimes it helps to flip the brisket over so the cap faces down and you can the fat line to help make a clean separation.

Bob,

Maybe this pic will help. Looking at the picture, the point is located at what would be the bottom of the picture. The point is generally more narrow than the flat portion. The flat is as named; a flat piece of muscle. The point is generally thicker and when looking at the whole packer, can have a more rounded shape. The 2 muscles overlap and there's generally a good line of fat that runs partially between the 2. After cooking, it's easy to separate them using that line of fat.

Paul

I had a hard time with this the first couple of times, too. It helps to study the post-trim pre-cook brisket a bit to see where the vein of fat runs. I've noticed that you can sort of tell where the "squishy" fat runs post-cook.

After the cook is done, with the fat cap down and the point to my right side, I run a knife from the left-most edge of the point down and to the left, under the flat. Depending on the size of the brisket it ends up being around a 45 degree angle, so quite a few middle slices of the flat are without a "bottom" edge. Most of the time I hold the knife with a hilt to knife-point slant as well, the angle of which depends on the brisket (you'll know from the previous pre-cook inspection).

Sometimes the "point" of the point is closer to you, rather than on the other side from you (I guess from the opposite side of the cow?), so your knife angle will change accordingly.

Here's my (poor) attempt at illustration, red is the cut:
brisket.jpg

Thanks for the replies. From the pictures I think I got it correct! I was just unsure where to start cutting. Thanks again for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the chief complaints comes from people who get the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how so?

In the past I would just slice the whole brisket. Most of the people who had the point said it was too fatty for them. I have gotten really good reviews on the flats. I don’t hang around particularly picky people I just ask and let them know I need an honest critique so that I can get better. I have had excellent reviews on my flats.

Normally when trimming before the cook it's pretty apparent as you will see a fairly thick fat vein running diagonal towards the bottom (if you are looking fat cap up).

There is no question it's not a "pretty" as a flat slice. Also if you have been slicing without separating then the people would be getting a large section of fat in most slices that contain the point.

If you crowd isn't fussy on it, definately separating would be a way to go. I also use point to shred or chop and throw into tacos, enchilada's, beans or chili. Adds great flavour and it gives you a chance to remove any large amounts of fat.

In case you still would like some assistance This site really helped me define the Point from the flat. I actually printed the pictures and keep them in my notebook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the past I would just slice the whole brisket. Most of the people who had the point said it was too fatty for them. I have gotten really good reviews on the flats. I don’t hang around particularly picky people I just ask and let them know I need an honest critique so that I can get better. I have had excellent reviews on my flats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we usually fight for the point
icon_biggrin.gif

you can trim off most of the surface fat prior to cooking and it will bark up nice, and now that you know were the vein of fat is, you'll be able to knock that off after cooking. You should be left with a moist, well marbled, chunk of beefy goodness.

Back