Brisket Point Suggestions

John G.

TVWBB Member
My past three cooks I haven't eaten the point on the brisket. After each cook I've vacuum sealed and then frozen them with the intention of making chili. I've got one from January, one from May and another from yesterday. Anyone have any recipe suggestions?

Also, any input on the best way to defrost them, and do you think the one from January is alright? I read another post in which someone said they smoked the point for an extra long time to get more fat out. Is it alright to resmoke frozen meat?

Thanks for any advice,

John

Make up some burnt ends !
icon_smile.gif

Defrost it in the fridge or throw the foodsaver bag into some boiling water and bring it back up to the boil. Put the point back on the smoker for up to 6 hours to let some more of the fat render out. After that ... There are possibilities to add some real Q flavor to things like: baked beans, stews, gumbo, soups, chili ( my fav ), or have it just sliced or chopped, soaked in Q sauce and in a sandwich, or straight up. It's all good.

Not only is it a great addition to many recipes, some even serve it up on a plate all by itself. Try cutting it into small cubes and mixing it with some warm BBQ sauce. Mmmm...

I give mine to the cats, they love em. Glad they do cause we sure don't. It's a texture thing if you are wondering. We just don't like the texure of the point. Tried it in Chili once, nope no good either. Cats love em so they get em.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the responses. I'll try making the burnt ends and see how it goes.

I do agree with Bryan though. There is just something about that texture that is so unappealing. I unknowingly ate the point on my first brisket and it actually turned me off of brisket for months.

The other thing to do with the point is shred it while it is still tender, mix it with sauce and serve it on a bun. It's pretty tasty!

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
1 cup strong brewed coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

This is by far the best chili I've ever had. I leave out the beer and coffee. Do whatever suits your tastebuds best. Try it, you'll love it.

Back