Brisket Packers in Toronto / Mississauga?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone know where to get decent priced packers in Toronto or East Mississuga? I see many here (US based I think) getting them at big box stores but we don't have them here. The last 2 I bought were ordered through Loblaws and ended up being organic, expensive and dry (last was probably me but I'll lay the blame elsewhere for now). Butchers are no better.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

JDH

James,

If you are looking for something close to a traditional packer your best bet is The Butcher Shoppe. The downside there is that they cater mostly to restaurants and hotels. They don't really have advertised prices and you are at the mercy of the guy running the retail corner of their butcher operation on what you will pay. That said, the more you buy, the better the price tends to be.

The other place that I have had some recent success is European Meats in Kensington Park in downtown Toronto. I used their briskets in recent BBQ comps. One of the briskets got me a 2nd place call. However, their briskets tend to have relatively thin flats and are usually trimmed up a bit more than I would like.

Highland Farms has briskets from time to time, but they tend to just be the flats and are pretty well trimmed. I haven't actually bought one from them, but I do like their meat counter. They often have good prices on pork spare ribs.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScottF:
James,

If you are looking for something close to a traditional packer your best bet is The Butcher Shoppe. The downside there is that they cater mostly to restaurants and hotels. They don't really have advertised prices and you are at the mercy of the guy running the retail corner of their butcher operation on what you will pay. That said, the more you buy, the better the price tends to be.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a case of lamb shanks there last fall and they had some prices posted. It's cash only, though, so come prepared. I'd call ahead and make the trip, they have a great selection and a clean shop. The retail area is at the side near the back of the building.

My suggestion would be the St. Lawrence Market, especially Whitehouse meats. But I'd check with other butchers there as well. The packers part is easy - it's the reasonably priced part that's hard!

I get my meat at Whole Foods - I know it's expensive as heck but I'm a fan of the local, antibiotic free stuff so I shell out the dough. They usually have a great product. They do brisket. Sadly, they don't do flat iron...

I know that Costco deals with big hunks of meat, and the quality is very good. They have tons of product in their coolers so you have selection for sure. Don't know if they have brisket.

What about St. Jacobs market in Waterloo?

Back