Brisket Packer or Flat ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Thinking of trying Brisket this weekend.
Looked at Walmart, what's it called a packer, starting at 9.25lbs and up to and over 10lbs. Kinda scarey (trimming),to me. Although been reading Chris's brisket selection and prep.

Local grocery store has small well trimmed flats 2 lbs up to around 4 lbs. I've read on this forum about the well trimmed flats are better for braising etc.

Can you cook a well trimmed flat on the WSM @ 250 or any temp and get good results ?

I'm a little afraid of the big guys trimming etc. and dealing with the point.

Does everyone remove the point and continue to cook it after the flat is done ?

Any tips pointers etc. Appreciated.
Thanks,

John,

I don't have a WSM (yet), but I understand not wanting to "deal" with a full packer for your first brisket. You can usually find trimmed packers that are a little less cumbersome. I did one last weekend, at 6.5 pounds.

Lots of folks get excellent results with flats, so don't get talked away from them. I do think that you'd be disappointed with a real small flat. See if you can get something around 5 pounds minimum of you go the flat-route.

Good luck and post-up your results!

I only cook packers - alot of our friends like the point better than the flat. I never split it apart and cook it as one whole piece. I trim some fat off but not all.I am sure you can cook it at 250 - watch your temps - foil if you need to. Maybe some of flat only cookers can give you better advice than me.

John,
Trimming a whole packer may seem intimidating at first, but I think you can screw up trimming a packer and still turn out better then an over trimmed flat....if that makes sense. Some people dont trim their packers at all. For me, if its hard and white I trim it off, but I usualy leave the softer more yellow fat mostly intact.
I think for your first brisket, you would benifit from the extra fat a packer provides. Lean flats can become dry if not cooked perfectly.

Personally, when I've done low/slow packers, I dont return the point to the smoker after separating. I chop the point and freeze it for use in chili. Some people do make burnt ends out of the point but that is a extra step, and if your not ready for it then freezing for other uses is a good option. Hope this helps, my suggestion, try your hand at trimmin that big ol' packer
icon_smile.gif

Brandon

John,
I would definitely go for a packer over a trimmed flat. I have done both and found that a highly trimmed flat is pretty easy to screw up and a packer has more "give." With an over trimmed flat you really have to worry about the flat drying out. I agree with Brandon about trimming the fat. It isn't that hard if you read a little on the site.
Lance

I agree w/ the packer. 9-10/lb packers are the best. Forget the flat, point has some awesome meat.I do fat cap down. I will trim a little of the hard fat that will not render anyways. You can push down on the fat and feel the hard pieces. Other than that I just cut the "kernel" of fat that is between the point and the flat. This is just a big Vein of fat that can be removed. Rub it good and let her rip. I dont like to foil...just cook till shes done..Usually 195 for me...comes out super moist w/ killer bark.

I would do the packer. Trim just a little including the hunk between the point and flat.

I like to foil at 165 the cook until fork tender.

Search HIGH TEMP BRISKET.

It is super easy. Took my first one to a tailgate at a football game and it was gone.

Hi John,

Packers are more forgiving to cook than flats imo, especially at high temps (350 or so). Do the search for "high temp brisket" as dsitterson suggested; there is a huge amount of info in here. Check out this link for starters.

Trimming brisket is easier than it looks. Leave the point in place. Maybe some day you will want to experiment with this but for a first cook, just keep it simple. I'm sure it will go just fine! Good luck.

All the best,
Tom

I like packers. I split them and cook the point above the flat so that the fat from the point bastes the flat. It's a little cumbersome at the end because the flat comes off the heat before the point, and you have to lift the point out of the way to get at the flat. The point is usually bigger, and I let it go to a higher temperature and then pull it. I prefer the sliced flat. It's an even split when I have a BBQ between those who prefer the pulled point and those who like the sliced flat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:
I like packers. I split them and cook the point above the flat so that the fat from the point bastes the flat. It's a little cumbersome at the end because the flat comes off the heat before the point, and you have to lift the point out of the way to get at the flat. The point is usually bigger, and I let it go to a higher temperature and then pull it. I prefer the sliced flat. It's an even split when I have a BBQ between those who prefer the pulled point and those who like the sliced flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What temp do you cook the point to in order to pull it?

I start looking at it at around 195, but they often go over 205 before I take them off. I just take a fork to it while it's in the smoker, when she starts to look like she might pull, I foil and rest in a cooler for a while. They always come out moist and pullable as long as I give them an hour in the cooler. I have found that when the outside of the piece is pullable, the inside may or may not be. This is particularly true when you get a big piece of point. Foiling and resting insures that the whole piece pulls nicely.

I find flats more convenient, but why pay more for less?

An 10 lb packer at 1.65 is $16.50.

A 6.5 lb flat at 2.99 is $19.50.

There isn't 3.5 lbs of waste on a packer.

craig

Just for your info, here in NE Pa.

Packers $1.72 per lb @ Walmart, Flats $4.69 per lb at local grocery store. My Walmart doesn't carry the flats. Happy smoking

John, if you can, check out BJ's or a similar wharehouse type store. Flats are at least $1 a lb cheaper there than a local grocery store. I only do flats and always get them at BJ's. They are usually in the 5-8 lb range, have decent fat and are cryovac packed. My wife and I don't eat point meat so BJ's flats are perfect for us.

Back