Brisket on the Grill ?

When I'm in Las Vegas or Shawnee I do them that way all the time as I do not have a smoker in either location.

I do them the same way as I do them in a WSM, at high heat, but since it's a kettle I do two piles of coals, in the holders, unlit, and top each with maybe 4 lit. When I set up the coal holders I place them on a piece of foil, one piece each, fill with unlit, top with wood and lit or lit and pellet packets, then bring the foil up and somewhat over the coals (I though I had a pic somewhere but can't find it) so the heat is deflected and the brisket in not exposed to direct heat.

I shoot for ~350, cook ~2.5 hours, foil the brisket, then cook till tender, about 1.5 hours more. Rest 25 min, tented, slice and serve.

Kevin, Never thought about foiling the charcoal holders. I'm looking forward to trying it. If I remember, I'll grab the camera and get some pics. I'm really bad about that. Thanks, and appreciate the advice.

It's hard to say from just the one pic but it appears that the meat might have needed a bit more time.

I never temp briskets. I do packers only, not flats. For flats, I would suggest foiling ~160 or at 2.5 hours, whichever comes first. (For packers I just go 2.5 hours.)

Temping after foiling is not worthwhile. I first test with a probe at 1.25 hours or so after foiling. (I would suggest sooner if doing a flat.) If the brisket is not ready at that point - it rarely is - I recrimp the foil and test again later. Probing a bit early gives me a reference point. If almost there I might test in 10-15 min; if not, maybe 20-25. When the probe goes in effortlessly the brisket is tender; done.

I put the Brisket on at 11 am, and pulled it off at 4. 190 degrees. I then left it set up until 4:30 . You mentioned you only do Packers, I'm not sure what they are. My Briskets (flats) always come from Sams Club. Where would I purchase the Packers ?

Internal temp doesn't cause tenderness nor does it necessarily indicate it. Too, once the meat is foiled, at high cooktemps the internal temp can shoot up rather quickly - or not. Cooking is more efficient when the meat is foiled. Only the right amount of time relative to the meat's structure relative ot its thickness relative to the cooktemps will get the meat to tender. That's why checking by hand, with a probe, works best. Tender always feels the same; internal temps can vary.

A 'packer' is a whole brisket, deckle (a thin piece of fatty lean) removed. It's the standard way to cut and package brisket for shipping. I much prefer them over flats.

Most Walmarts seem to have them (based on info on this board, I don't shop there) but you will need to ask for them at the meat counter as most seem not to display them whole. Not sure where you are in Penn but there are likely other places as well.

I buy my packers at sams club .....should be right next to the flats.......it will be a long/wide chunk of meat.

glad i saw this. i have been wanting to try a brisket... but felt discouraged because i dont have an actual smoker.

time to read up and prepare for a brisket.

Sorry for this delayed reply. I know what your talking about Kevin, just didn't know it was called a Packer. I'll take your advice when Grilling my next Brisket. I prefer to smoke it, for I normally have better results. But I will try to grill it again, and will achieve better results. Thanks for the help.

Well since I don't have a WSM i do all my smoking on a kettle here is the last one I did, it was about 12 pounds. Make sure you rotate it 180 degrees at least once during the cook.

Mighty nice of ya to save me a piece
icon_biggrin.gif
Looks good.

Back