brisket on 22.5"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredM

I just got a 22.5" to upgrade from SJ. I am curious if it is possible to realistically smoke a 10 pound brisket on it using minion method. I was thinking I would try it but after looking it over there does not appear to be much room.I know the WSM is the preferred method but how stable is the temperature on the 22.5" using minion method?

2 weeks ago I went camping with my wife and daughter for 4 days and carried my 22.5 OTS.
On the 3rd day I couldn't take it anymore and had to q something, so off to the store I went.

I banked coals on one side (12 lit on top of 1/3 chimney unlit) put on a 8lb point on the other side with foil on the charcoal grate (for airflow to the coals) under the meat and a alum pan on top of that.

Set the bottom vents at 1/8" and top at 1/2 open (forgot my therm). Rotated every 1.5 hours and added around 6 coals each time. At the 8 hour mark it was 165 internal, foiled and cooked for 1.5 hrs and was tender, rested for 1hr.

I have to say it was one of the best I have ever had!

It is possible... and will turn out great. Just bank your coals on one side and use a minion-like method. I also like to block the heat with a foil shield. Temp can be even further dampened and steadied with a water pan over the coals. You can get used to your temps and time with a cheap whole chicken or pork butt. I start with almost a whole chimney of unlit coals with some wood chunks mixed in... Then, I add about a 5-10 burning coals. You will probably cook a little hotter than a lot of WSM guys are cooking, but It will taste great. The quick brisket is pretty popular now, anyway. Enjoy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredM:
I just got a 22.5" to upgrade from SJ. I am curious if it is possible to realistically smoke a 10 pound brisket on it using minion method. I was thinking I would try it but after looking it over there does not appear to be much room.I know the WSM is the preferred method but how stable is the temperature on the 22.5" using minion method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. I do it all the time. In fact, I have a 12 pounder I'm thawing to cook on Wednesday. I personally prefer using the kettle to the WSM. In fact, I totally forget that that a lot of folks don't think of the kettle as a smoker until I see a post like this. The only time I DON'T use my kettle is when I am cooking more than the kettle can hold.

Once I purchased some fire bricks and was able to cram in enough coals get 15 + hour burn times on one load of charcoal, I never looked back.

It's going to go great. You'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back