Brisket on 18.5

Jim Creasy

TVWBB Fan
My Father's Day smoke assignment has changed to Brisket. The only Brisket I've ever done on my 22.5 was nearly that long (over 18.5). Do I look for a smaller one, or trim it down or roll/curl it, or separate the point from the flat?

Sorry to sound stupid but I am a pork guy and I always cooked them as whole pieces.

Thanks,

JKC

I don't know how many lbs it was but if it went across the whole grate then get a smaller one. If need be, get one for the bottom grate too!

I've cook many large briskets on the 18.5; just move the ends towards each other and sqeeze them between the handles on the top grate.

Thanks, Kids.

No issues about simply picking out a smaller one then? Tougher or anything like that?

Wish me luck. This is my second Brisket.

JKC

Should be no problem picking one a bit smaller but if you find the brisket reaches all the way across you might consider foiling the ends around 2/3 of the way through the cook if you feel the bark is about right. Found this helped me keep from really overcooking ends. Right around the edge is where it's hottest

If you check done with a probe rather than temp there should be no problem with tender. Just cook till a probe slides in the meaty side with little resistance.
Luck!
Steve

Trim most, if not all, of the exterior fat off. Fold the point up as needed to fit it on the 18" WSM.

I've cooked a 16.5 lb raw, untrimmed weight brisket on one of my 18" WSMs before with no problem. If you fear the tip of the flat is burning/drying out, wrap it with some foil until you wrap the whole thing.

Yeah just fold it in there the best you can and it'll shrink up plenty by the time it's done. And sometimes you can find bigger briskets that are just shorter. I've seen 8 pound packers that had to be folded at the end and I've seen 13 pound packers that fit on the 18.5 with plenty of room to spare. Just be choosy when picking out your brisket.

Jim, I've found that anything over 14 lbs is real tight in the 18.5. I've done bigger by bending the meat to look like the St. Louis arch. It shrinks over time and ends up sitting flat on the grate with no ill effects

14 + lb brisket.
5221101.jpg

Tight fit.
05221103.jpg

But it came out fine.
0522106.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve St:
Should be no problem picking one a bit smaller but if you find the brisket reaches all the way across you might consider foiling the ends around 2/3 of the way through the cook if you feel the bark is about right. Found this helped me keep from really overcooking ends. Right around the edge is where it's hottest
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before putting the brisket on the grate I take those foil sheets (12 X 10 3/4) to protect then ends of the brisket from the direct heat that flows up from around the edge of your water pan. Here is a picture from a high heat waygu brisket that was over 15 LBS pre trim. Note the smoker is an 18" Large Big Green Egg.

20039_1337885090986_1346888958_945789_340197_n.jpg

Back