Brisket: OK to slice the flat on the bias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi,

I have a question about slicing a brisket.

Out of habit I sliced my first brisket what I thought was against the grain but on the bias. In other words i didn't slice it straight up and down (in the same direction as gravity) but at a 45 degree angle. In other words, if you're facing the brisket I cut it from the north west corner to the south east corner.

I did this out of habit since its' the way I was taught to slice a grilled london broil. Now I'm second guessing myself.

Any thoughts? Should the slices have been straight from the top to the bottom?

That's how the Luther's Texas BBQ here does it. But I often wonder if it's just for speed, since they slice to order.

I think it more a question of whatever you prefer. I slice flank on the bias but not brisket; I like the look better. What's making you second guess?

I slice brisket straight down and london broil on the bias. Are you asking cause if you would have sliced it straight down it would not have been with the grain as much? Bryan

I got a brisket flat that's coming out tonite. I probably won't cut it (we'll be doing pork shoulder for dinner) but when the time comes, I think I'll go the "straight down" cut.

Thanks guys,

Doug, are you saying Luther's slices it straight up and down or the other way?

K,

I was second guessing myself based on some comments some folks on the forum made regarding pictures I posted a little earlier today.

One of the respondees suggested I slice it against the grain. Which was what I thought I'd done. Then when I thought about it I realized that by slicing on the bias you slice a little bit with the grain. Sort of.... That's why I'm having the seocnd thoughts.

Again thanks.

It's true, as you say, "a little bit.... Sort of". Was it tender? That's the defining issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
Doug, are you saying Luther's slices it straight up and down or the other way? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
On the bias, as you describe.

Thanks guys,

Actually I felt this brisket could have been a little more tender. (Not to say it was bad.)

But then again it's only the seocnd BBQ'd flat I've ever had. (First one was worse I made it and hadn't a clue what I was doing.)

However, I had a lot of problems with this cook so it could have been any one of a number of things.

Thanks again.

At one of his classes I attended, Paul Kirk said brisket slices cut on the bias will appear more dried out than those cut straight down. Probably more of a consideration for competition, I guess, but that's what he said.

Regards,
Chris

Rob O, How did the brisket turn out? How did your friend like it? What was the total cook time, and how did it break down to hours per pound? Just wondering!

Nick P.

Nick,

The brisket turned out fine. But the story of what happened you're not gonna believe. It was..... an advneture.

check out the threads I posted from this weedend titled "First Brisket Cook w/pics" and "BAMMM DISASTER STRIKES!!!!

Any questions?

Total cook time worked out to 15 hours but I had to finish in the oven for one of those 15.

well here comes ole ignorant again..Im not sure what the bias is vs. straight up and down. I think I know what against the grain is???maybe. Mamma always said I was against the grain..or something like that?? But imo, if you want to see a pretty brisket that will make your mouth water, go to the texas bbq rub web site and look at the picture of that one...makes your mouth water...

Cutting meat on the bias means cutting it across the grain, but holding the knife blade at less than a 90* angle. It's thought that cutting meat like flank steak on the bias makes it seem more tender in the mouth.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back