Brisket- no "crusting" after 5 hours

Mike
Bark is a mixture of spices, natural juices, sprays and mops that forms during the cook.

Using sugar makes it easier at the pit temps we use. Everything is a trade off, with sugar if the temps get to high it burns.

With out sugar it takes longer to form bark but it will form.
Jim

thanks everyone for your replies. its been a few weeks now and i am ready to try my second brisket.

For everyones info, my first brisket was less than 4 pounds, had very fat and did not get any bark after 6 hours.

However, when i brought it in and let it rest for a 1/2 hour, it was good to eat. but a bit tougher than i was expecting. it had a nice color inside and was definitly "done".

so i will be trying a different cut of meat this time, with some fat on it, and will be using a mop as well.

i wonder if someone could help me describe to my butcher exactly what i want? i have seen the article on selection, but can we dumb it down to a sentence or two?

i love this board! thanks all for the advice and keep smokin!

Marcel M.
Poconos PA
9" snow, covered by ice, hurray!

Sounds like what you had was a brisket flat. It's been trimmed for fat and the point is removed. If you buy a brisket for smoking then you'll need to ask for a whole, untrimmed brisket that hasn't had the fat cap trimmed and still has the point attached. These will often come in a cryopack, not necessarily always.

Please don't give up on briskets, Marcel. When done right there's nothing that compares, IMO. My first one was merely okay - didn't cook it long enough and it was far from fork tender. The next one was measureably better, and my last one still makes my tummy growl if I think back on it. Good luck!

~Dave

I have done 4 briskets so far. 2 were by themselves and 2 were with butts over top of them. The 2 with the butts over top were far superior. Not dry at all. A lot of it is my newness and I haven't cooked exactly the same every time.

Anyhow I recomend if you were dissatisfied with your brisket try it with a butt over it.

Back