Brisket newbie

Jess OH

TVWBB Member
Well, I've been a little intimidated to try another brisket after the hockey puck I made on my ECB 4 months ago. But Costco had little ones for 2.49 a lb and I had to try again. It has been in the 20 degree range here in Ohio so I foiled the bowl on my 18.5 WSM and did not use any water. I started with about 12 lit coals and some hickory chunks and some mesquite chips. The cooker came up to temp in about 1/2 hr and I maintained a pretty steady 225 with only one vent open 1/4 of the way. The brisket was rubbed with the midnight brisket rub off of the TVWB and put on the cooker after a one hour rest out of the fridge. It went on a 6:30 pm and I baby sat it till 12pm. The wind was picking up so I put the card board box it came in around it. I woke up at 7am and Had a grate temp of 200 but the fuel was almost exhausted so I foiled it and put it in the oven for an hour for an internal temp of 200. It got a two hour rest and then sliced. Good cook but the flat was still a little dry. I'll have to keep trying.
ay1mcgpPx2a72CWjXd8E6g

VaOb-5qnJdN6c-ro8Q4iuA
3mICAFk5R22aktMemlBA_w

Not too bad, Jess, actually sounds pretty good
icon_smile.gif
Brisket, as you no doubt already know, is arguably the most difficult BBQ meat to get right... but it sounds like your cook went about right, maybe a little overdone @ 200* but hard ta say. Many will cook to 165* then foil and cook to around 190-195*...doneness tests are key to get er done right
icon_wink.gif
..assuming you started with good brisket, two critical things, IMO, slicing cross-grain and rebasting after slicing, with the juices left in the foil.
icon_smile.gif
Good luck, my friend!

It's hard to cook those little "pieces of brisket". If that's all you can find, then I reccomend foiling the meat at 155 - 160º internal temp. IMO, the best way to cook those pieces is HH. Pics didn't post, just have red <span class="ev_code_RED">X's</span>
Here's the link to the Original High Heat Brisket Thread.

I got alot of questions as I plan to do my first brisket tomorrow. I picked up a 7# brisket at BJs and trimmed some of the fat and added the midnight rub. Now it's sitting in the fridge in a zip lock bag until tomorrow. Im cooking over lump and using a digi q 2. I'm kinda unsure whether or not I should use the water pan filled with water or just foiled and how to set up my lump and smoke wood. Do I put the wood on top of the lump or bury it. I plan on using some maple and apple. I'm just starting to get used to my digi q. Do I leave the vent damper on the fan all the way open and the lid damper wide open too?

Fan damper and lid damper open; all others closed ...for a loong, slow cook most would use regular <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> , lump for high heat, short cook.... up to you... I like H2O, but not full in cold weather
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob W:
I'm kinda unsure whether or not I should use the water pan filled with water or just foiled and how to set up my lump and smoke wood. Do I put the wood on top of the lump or bury it. I plan on using some maple and apple. I'm just starting to get used to my digi q. Do I leave the vent damper on the fan all the way open and the lid damper wide open too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No water with the Guru. Foil the pan leaving the foil off the inside bottom of the pan by and inch or two. Place your smokewood ontop of the lit, leaving a gap under the wood so you get a good clean burn. I try to straddle 2 pieces of lit with the wood. I leave my damper on my Guru open and the top vent open as well. If it runs hot, then you can close the guru damper some, but find out before you start where 1/2 closed is before starting. I have a piece of wood I use to make that easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
slow cook most would use regular <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> , lump for high heat, short cook....) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Surely you Jest right.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Hey there Bryan! .... I do jest a lot!!
icon_biggrin.gif
..but not this time; the TVWBB poll section ... 33% lump; 67% <span class="ev_code_BLUE">k</span>
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That poll means nothing cept that heavy advertising, and the crap is in every store, so people use it.
I wouldn't use K if it was given to me for free.
icon_wink.gif

Next you'll tell me that low and slow is the best way to cook a brisket.
icon_razz.gif

EDIT: I do use K though, to light my coal stove that I heat my house with in the winter.
icon_biggrin.gif

...for a loong, slow cook most would use regular <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> , lump for high heat, short cook.... up to you... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I'm sure you know if you use the vents you can have the lump burn at whatever rate you want, just like the K. The other day I did a 12.5 hour lump cook, no refueling, and had a usable chimney left the next day - and that was my first try doing anything more than 4-5 hours. It's just not that hard given the lovely instructions on this very website. :)

Agreed! The operative word in the quoted statement is most
icon_wink.gif
..r.e. the TVWBB polls section ..33% lump; 67% <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> ...I think we're trying to make a distinction where there is no difference...Cheers
icon_smile.gif

I've gotten about 17 hours with lump and still had a little left in the bowl. It responds to vent changes very well and the guru also helps with keeping temps low. I've only used mine a couple times with the guru during butt cooks and I love it. Another thing I like about lump is there is nowhere near as much ash left behind compared to <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span>. Easier clean up is definitely one of the many reasons why I switched to lump. Well, thanks for the advise guys. Hopefully I'll have some pics of the brisket to post.

Sorry, I think the pictures are too big to post. I'm still eating the Brisket but want to try another one to get it more tender. The high heat cook is on my list. THis one was 5.91 lbs pre-cook and I trimmed a lot of fat from the cap probably left 1/8th inch. I used K because that is what I have in stock. The Buts and ribs have been good, but a solid brisket is still elusive. I have never seen a properly cooked brisket and I'm learning the feel of it or at least I would like too. Thanks for the suggestions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob W:
I've gotten about 17 hours with lump and still had a little left in the bowl. It responds to vent changes very well and the guru also helps with keeping temps low. I've only used mine a couple times with the guru during butt cooks and I love it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup, gotten 18 hrs. myself a few times under perfect conditions. Once with the Old Wicked Good Competition Lump, and once with Humphrey's, both cooks were on 18.5 lb chuck rolls.
I bought my first bag of lump (Lazzari Mesquite) back in 1983. First cook with that bag of lump was a beef roast on my Brinkman, and after tasting the beef, I was hooked for life.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Lump for short or long cooks, smoking or grilling, <span class="ev_code_RED">RULES</span>.

Well my first brisket cook is in the books and I have to say It has definitely lived up to the hype. I must of gotten lucky or something.
icon_biggrin.gif

Perfect texture, moisture, smoke ring and amazing flavor. Hopefully I'll be able to upload the pictures later. Thank you guys for the tips. Now only if I can find some pork bellies around here to make some bacon.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Now only if I can find some pork bellies around here to make some bacon.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rob, glad to hear it came out great for you.
icon_cool.gif
For bellies, look at Asian and Hispanic markets/stores, they should have them. The place I get mine from, have the spares on the sides. They run $1.49lb. for the whole belly. Good luck on your search.

Back