Brisket Midnight Cook?

Jason Davenport

I'm a new WSM BBQr and have a question.

This will be my 4th cook after doing one overnight cook with Renowned Mr.Brown w/ 2 Butts and a morning cook of 3 BB's ribs using the BRITU recipe and used it again for 9 BB's on the 4th of July. Everyone loved them!

I'm thinking about Brisket this weekend ... I've never even used Brisket in the kitchen, let alone try to smoke it. Does everyone find the Midnight Rub to be the best to start out with? I'm not trying to create discussion about what recipe is the best... but I'm wondering if this is a good one to start out with. The other's were for sure!

Thanks in advance!

I prefer the high heat method for briskets (some other detail here) but, as you'll likely get around to trying a few different approaches (at least!) to see what method(s) and results you prefer then, sure, start with the midnight cook and see how it goes.

Good luck with it and don't hesitate to post any questions you might have.

Jason, I find little advantage in cooking a brisket over night.

One option is to just do a flat.
With higher heat (Kevin's thread above) you can start a brisket in the early morning and be ready to serve for lunch.

John

I got the brisket on at 9:00pm EST using the Menion Method. It was 9 lbs.

The WMS is holding at 236* at the grill as of now. Although, the temp in the meat is already at 161* ... Can that already happen?

I recently cooked my best brisket ever (at wifey's family reunion) doing an overnight cook, low and slow. At present I am trying to do it again - I started it at 8 PM - now it is 12:30 (1 bell) the cooker is at 228* and the brisket is at 158*. If it turns out very good to excellent, my next brisket will be hot and fast (Paul H, I may have questions for you). If the difference between moist and dry brisket is the difference between slow and low versus hot and fast - I am trying to figure that out!

See how it feels when you place your probe in. If there is a lot of resistance it is not done. At your cook temps, I'd expect that you're looking at 187-192 internal ( might be lower though--or higher) before the probe will go in fairly smoothly. But: Temps can vary, the feel of 'done' doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
hey Rich, how did your brisket turn out??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DY-NO-MYTE
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

I used your idea of putting it in a metal pan with a foil cover rather than wrapping in foil.

Much easier to handle that way - I'de of figured that out after 7 or 8 more cooks
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back