Brisket juice

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I just finished cooking 2 packers...my first time with the HH method and foiling.

When I opened the foil there ended up being about 10 cups of "brisket juice".

I let it settle and there are three layers: the top looks like fat (although the top layer is not that thick, about 20% of the total volume), the middle -- a pretty dark liquid -- which is about 40% of the total volume, and the bottom, which appears to be a sludge comprised mostly of rub.

I'm not sure what the middle layer is, what you might use this liquid for in the future, and how you might store it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

That dark liquid make for good dipping with small pices of brisket which i love. I'm sure it could make for a hearty beef stock also. try freezing it for later use

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt A 3:
I just finished cooking 2 packers...my first time with the HH method and foiling.

When I opened the foil there ended up being about 10 cups of "brisket juice".

I let it settle and there are three layers: the top looks like fat (although the top layer is not that thick, about 20% of the total volume), the middle -- a pretty dark liquid -- which is about 40% of the total volume, and the bottom, which appears to be a sludge comprised mostly of rub.

I'm not sure what the middle layer is, what you might use this liquid for in the future, and how you might store it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The middle layer is water (lean brisket juice), the top layer is fat and the bottom is all the rub and sediment. Pour the juice into a defatting cup and pour the leat juice and sediment into a bowl. If you don't have a defatter, pour all the juice into a bowl, let cool slightly and then put a couple handfuls of ice in it. The fat will coagulate onto the cubes after a couple minutes, at that point, remove the cubes and you have defatted brisket broth!

That middle layer is akin to what the call demi glace I believe. I think it is mostly collagen and it is a jelly like consistency. The stuff is MAGIC!!!!!! Frankly, I'd save it all, fat and all. Reheat it and pour the whole mess back over sliced brisket. I never de-fat any BBQ drippings. FAT IS FLAVOR!!!!!

this guy refers to that fat (from pork) as the "napalm of cooking fat."

I like to use the defatted jello with the meat during reheating. unlike Dave, I always defat it first, however he make a REALLY good point about the fact that fat is flavor. I'm going to have to rethink things.

Matt, I let the juices stand in a big measuring cup then scoop out the fat when it starts to form on top.When cooled I put them in plastic resealable bags and put them in the freezer. They go great in a meatloaf or if you're making your own BBQ sauce a nice touch for additional flavor

Thanks for all the input. I defatted, gave a good whisking to make sure the rub and sediment was well distributed, then poured seven 1/2 cup portions into individual ziplocks for freezing. I can't wait to re-heat the juice to serve over the reheated brisket! Cheers, Matt.

Back