Brisket injection

Thoughts on injecting a brisket with either the melted fat from trimming the brisket or melted grocery store tallow ( rendered and filtered beef fat ).

I don't think injecting is worth the hassle. I've made some pretty good briskets without it. I question how much of the injection really stays in the meat during the cook. I think seasoning, temperature management, setting the bark wrapping correctly, pulling at the right temp, and resting in a cooler for a while before serving are all more important than injecting. If you're already nailing all these other things, maybe try injecting and see if it makes a difference?

Never heard of injecting with beef tallow. If you try it, please post something about the results.

Good Luck!

I inject with a mix of Beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce no matter the grade of the meat. I've never used Beef tallow. Harry Soo has an excellent video where he tried the beef tallow and did a side by side cook with not injected. He cooked 2 low quality (Walmart) Briskets on a pellet grill at 275°. His conclusion was that the Beef Tallow gave better taste and moisture than not injected. He also said that the Beef Tallow was not as good as Brisket injected with commercial injects or Beef Broth. Informative video.
Hope this helps.

I have not done many briskets yet as I always found low/slow on my OLD bbq (the Keg) a very frustrating process. With the new WSK, hoping to get a lot more brisket cooks in - particularly since they are so inexpensive compared to other cuts. Trying one this weekend - I purchased some Kosmos "Reserve Blend" to try out injected to see how it goes...

I like brisket but it doesent really wow me with big beefy flavor, unlike other beef cuts.
I got away from injecting butts awhile ago, but need to revisit this on my next packer.
Regular S&P isn't doing it for me, even on primes.

Back