Brisket Help?

Ryan C.

I have bought a small flat to do tomorrow and was told it was better to go with a full packer(is this what you call a full brisket?).

I have yet to do what i would call a great brisket, good yes, great no. I know how to check it but i was wondering what a few of your guys/gals methods were? Thakns for the help.

I do briskets at high heat. I cook packers. (Packers are whole briskets--i.e., flat and point together--with the deckle (a thin piece of fatty lean) that runs along one side removed.)

See the Cooking Topics tab at the top of this page if you haven't already.

Also see this recent thread for a more typical low/slow approach using foil, something I'd recommend for a flat.

I've had good luck doing small flats (4-5 lbs.) with the high heat method. I foil them around the 1.5 hour mark, then check for fork (probe) tender starting at the 2.5 hour mark. They are usually done in the 3 to 3.5 hour range, then rest.

I don't check the meat temperature at all. I have read enough posts by Kevin and by Craig Castille to go with the probe method.

Ryan I think you will be fine I cook flats a lot and still use low and slow and have no problem, but I do inject mine, I personally don't like to do packers but that is just my opinion

I always get full packers. Around here the packers are cheaper per pound. That means more good eats for me.
icon_biggrin.gif
If you are not a fan of the point cut it up and put into a batch of Keri C's hog apple beans in the side dish forum. Absoulutely the best thing you have ever eaten.

The difference between good and great brisket is knowing when to read it and know when to stick it. The thermometer that is. When I start checking temp/doneness I read the temp. Once I read a temp of 175° internal I stop reading tghe temp. After that I use the therm just to probe the brisket. When the brisket gives the feel of sliding the therm into warm butter it is done. When probing the brisket you will also notice the jiggle like jello does. I haven't done it enough to feel comfortable to just use the jiggle method but I am sure experience will cure that.

The temp each brisket becomes tender is different for each cut so cooking by temp doesn't work well. Once it hits the tender point it is time to take it off. Once tender has been achieved it starts to dry out and seems it doen't take very long either. Using this method took my brisket from good to great.

Same as Jason, I usually do flats in the 6.5-8 lb. range at a temp of about 250 and have great results. Flats just seem to be more redily available in my area, so that's what I've gotten used to.

Back