Brisket flats and Haiku

Michael Keig

Hey all,

I'm doing a mid-week brisket for a family that won it as a school silent auction - they want it Friday - can't smoke it tomorrow night, so I'm doing it 2 days early. Anyway - went to Sam's forgetting that they only sell flats - I haven't ever cooked a flat-only brisket. I'm doing the "overnight cook" and began about 8:00pm - cooker is going great at 245 degrees. Will the flat take quite a bit less time than a full flat/point brisket? What is the rule of thumb on time for flats only?

Also, I am going to pull them tomorrow morning before work - should I foil and refrigerate,or will that bring my refrigerater temperatures to high? Should I foil and put them in a cooler full of ice to avoid spoilage?

Also, my 9 year old daughter came up with a Haiku for tonight:

Smoke is in the air
As Daddy grills his brisket
Yum, Yum, Barbeque!

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Do not wrap the brisket while still hot and then refigerate. That opens the door to food poisoning as the brisket won't cool quickly enough. All day in the fridge, wrapped, and the potential for pathogen outgrowth is significant.

If you take the brisket to probe/fork tender you need not wrap and rest. I'd highly suggest foiling the flat when it reaches about the mid-160s. When tender you can remove it, place it on a rack on the counter (for air circulation) then open the foil completely. Let it sit in the foil and rest 30 min (if you can cool on the counter longer, do--up to an hour). You can then loosely drape a piece of plastic over the brisket (prop it up on the open foil so that it is above the meat) and put it in the fridge. Wrap well when cold.

How long the flat will take depends on size (weight and thickness), grade and amount of exterior fat, and whether you foil duing the cook. Generally you're looking at 7-10 hours.

Mike, I can't help you with your brisket, but I sure love your daughter's Haiku!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mel:
Mike, I can't help you with your brisket, but I sure love your daughter's Haiku!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here Mike - that one better be on the door of the fridge I hope!

Back