Brisket Flat

Todd Finchler

TVWBB Member
Hi. I am smoking a 3.5 pound brisket flat. Cannot find packers around where I live in NJ, so I settle for the flat. Past experience - they dry out. This time, I smoked to internal temp of 160 and have now foiled. Will try to bring up to about 200 and then let rest for 1-2 hours. Mopped just before foiling. Am I on the right path? Thanks!

Todd

Dont temp the flat after you foil it. check it for tenderness by using a probe. That was the best piece of advise I recieved on this board. Temping briskets never seems to work well.

Yeah, after you foil it, don't 'temp' it, use the Norman Bates method. Stab it all over the place. You are looking for 'tender'. How tender?

This tender:

It should feel like you are using the meat thermometer probe to temp a Peanut better and jelly sandwich on wonder bread with smooth peanut butter. In and out it should slide like you greased it up. Like you are going to push it through cause you pushed too hard.

When you have that, you're done!

Thanks gentlemen. I did as suggested and used the tenderness approach. (Mom said the same thing.) Came out much better than in prior attempts to smoke a flat - great flavor, easy to cut and very tasty. I will not be so hesitant to smoke a flat going forward....

Back