Brisket Flat vs Point - What did I buy (w/ pics)?

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
My increasing frustration over not being able to find a whole packer in CT lead me to a new butcher today. I asked for a whole brisket and this is what they sold me:

Brisket 1

Brisket 2

Brisket 3

Brisket 4

What do you think I have here? Having only worked w/ cryo flats before, I can't figure out what part of this is a flat and if there's a point attached. Overall, it looks like it was trimmed way too much.

The side shown on top in the 1st two pics has a ridge of thicker fat running along one side. The side on top in the 2nd two pics looks more like a flat to me. However, there's very little fat there.

Any advice/guidance would be most appreciated. I'm trying to get this done high heat this afternoon.

Thanks.

It's hard to tell without a visual reference next to it to foster a better spacial understanding, a chefs knife, say, or a dinner plate.

What is its weight?

It strikes me as a very badly cut brisket (not simply overtrimmed, though that is also the case). It looks like some - but not all - of the flat with some - but not all - of the point; only a smallish piece of the point. (Then again, in 3 and 4 it barely looks like brisket at all.)

The ridge if thicker fat you note is quite common. What is missing is the large glob of fat that separates the point from the flat, and it appears that - if the point exists here at all - the entire top of the point and most of its side were removed.

I'd cook it as planned.

Thanks for the response Kevin. Should I even think about trying to separate one part from the other when it gets up to temp? Or just cook and slice and see what I get?

That is one odd looking piece of brisket. I've never seen one like that before. No idea what to do with it. Just throw it in and let it do it's thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's perplexed by its appearance. I just hope it tastes good about 3 hours from now.

Looks to me that you've got a very poorly trimmed brisket.

If I had to guess I would say that pics 3&4 are flat up. Except that it has been hacked pretty badly. That's a shame as it looks like decent quality meat judging from the marbling. I would close trim it, rub it down and see what you get.

I would also ask the butcher if he trimmed it or did he get it that way. Do it in a nice way or he may get very offended. I'd wager that the butcher doesn't do too many of these and wasn't sure what to do with it.

I if I were you I would explain to him that you compete in Q comps and need to to trim it yourself. That way you can trim it how you want and not have to work with someone else's butchered job (I crack myself up).

Russ

Originally posted by S. Fink:
Thanks for the response Kevin. Should I even think about trying to separate one part from the other when it gets up to temp? Or just cook and slice and see what I get?
I would just cook it as is.

My guess is that it is a whole bnls shoulder, minus the top blade. Commonly referred to as a "shoulder clod". I really do not think it is a brisket at all. On another board, almost the same thing happened. The guy asked the "butcher" for a packer brisket and the butcher sold him a whole bnls chuck roll??? Bnls chuck great for chopped or pulled bbq beef, but is nothing close to a packer brisket.
I have been cutting meat professionally for 20 years and would bet money it is a shoulder clod. In picture #2 it shows where the top blade would be attached to the clod. The angle and sinew is correct for where the top blade would be.

Just my .02!

Gary-
I think you solved the mystery. When I cut into it I realized it definitely wasn't a brisket. Tastes OK, but not sure what to do w/ it. I may chop it up or try to thin slice it and serve it like pit beef.

At least I know not to go to that butcher any more. Looks like I may have to go the online route to get a packer.

In picture #2 it shows where the top blade would be attached to the clod. The angle and sinew is correct for where the top blade would be.
Hence my comment above. Good catch.

S.- Tell the guy. Then find somewhere that carries packers.

I feel your pain about getting whole briskets here in CT. Luckily I'm in Mass a few days each week (work in Bedford MA) and I found out that the Walmart Super Center in Plymouth (sister lives on the Cape) carries whole briskets so I'll be picking some up there next time I get a chance.

I never shop at Walmart but am told that most carry them. BNut one often has to ask as they don't put the whole ones out.

My guess is that it is a whole bnls shoulder, minus the top blade. Commonly referred to as a "shoulder clod".

that was my guess. something about it didnt look like a brisket.

here's a link to beef shoulder that might be what you cooked:

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D...primal_id=1056389295

keep trying butcher's until you find one interested in your cause. that's what I did and ended up finding one that actually owns a wsm and like to visit bbq comps. talk about the luck.

Have you checked the restaurant depot in Orange? Looks like it's not too far from you, worth a look-see

you can get a day pass anytime you want with your kcbs card. makes it worth the $35.

That is good to know.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back