Brisket Flat In Pan on WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
On Steven Raichlen's show the other day, he was making a brisket flat on a WSM. He put the brisket in a foil pan on top. He said this was so the bottom does not get too crispy. Has anybody tried this??

It's called braising. Simply cook fat side down and you can expect the lean side of the brisket to be chrispy free.
Jim

Dave-

We fix our briskets that way, but we do it with the fat cap up, after 15 hours, that pan is about 1/4-1/2'' full of juice, it kind of self-bastes it I guess, very tender & flavorful, we sprinkle cayenne in the with the juice that gets rendered and dump it over the meat before eating it. The most interested part is that the fat cap is all cracked and damn near dry after cooking, I attribute it to all the fat and juice being rendered after 15-18 hours. It's definitely worth a shot to try...

Dave, how funny! I posted the exact same thread when the show first aired in July.

here

I actually did try it after that, and you surely do get a panload of juice and the brisket it moist, BUT...you don't get as much smoke ring or bark of course. I think I concluded that I would absolutely use that technique if I all I could find was a thin and not very fatty brisket, but that normally I'd rather do it the regular way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back