Brisket finishing sauce

Pat,
Given how chilly it was last weekend in Libertyville, I'd suggest clarifying the butter before you use it. I keep a tub of clarified in our cooler at all our comps. It keeps the gunky milk solids from making sort of a mess of things

I don't see the need to clarify the butter, just keep the finishing sauce warm.
icon_wink.gif
Never had any issues with gunky stuff. Once it starts to cool down. yes the butter will start to solidify and yes it'll be hard to paint it on, but if you keep it warm, no issues.

Maybe I am missing this whole concept of butter. But why not use the fat from the brisket? It's already in the foil. Why use a second source of fat? I mean, the fat from the briskets, taste like... Beef...

For the record. I have never added any butter to my brisket. I've managed to cook an alright brisket without doing that step. But I am just a lowly comp cook. Reaching for the most flavorful, moist brisket that be created.

Pat-- You can do that but depending on the separator you use it can be a PITA. There are beter wys to clarify butter. However, as Bryan notes, butter doesn't need to be clarified for this.

Scottie-- I don't use much. I'm guessing Bryan uses as much as he does because he is looking for that flavor. For me, I use the defatted juice from the foil plus a little mustard and a little butter. My point is to get the flavorful juices (which contain some fat no matter how well you defat) to cling to the sides of the slices. Whole butter is more reliable as a fat here and the Dijon is the emulsifier; neither is required in much quantity. I use maybe a cup of juices, seasonings adjusted, a tablespoon or two of butter and a teaspoon or two of Dijon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe I am missing this whole concept of butter. But why not use the fat from the brisket? It's already in the foil. Why use a second source of fat? I mean, the fat from the briskets, taste like... Beef... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scottie, great question. I find if you use the fat from the brisket, it gives the finishing sauce a greasy, oily mouthfeel to it. Using butter gives the sauce a smooth velvety mouth feel to it, just like adding a small pat of butter at the end of making pan gravy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it gives the finishing sauce a greasy, oily mouthfeel to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, another reason I avoid it. And the main reason I defat the juices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I don't use much. I'm guessing Bryan uses as much as he does because he is looking for that flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, Thanks for mentioning this. I need to change it because I don't use nearly a 1/4 c when I make the finishing sauce anymore, prob more like 2 TBS. I just eyeball everything but I know it's closer to 2 TBS than a 1/4 c. So lets go like this. For Brisket use 1/4c beef stock or the de-fatted drippings, 1/4 BBQ sauce and 2 TBS butter or amounts there abouts. For pork use 1/4c chicken stock, 1/4 c BBQ sauce, and 2 TBS butter.
icon_smile.gif

Back