Brisket Famous Dave's style

Chad S.

Anyone try smoking a brisket for 6-8 hours, wrapping for 2-4hours, letting it rest then refrigerate overnight. Then re-smoke (unwrapped?) for 2 hours or until 160-170 internal and eat? I was thinking of trying this on the weekend but feel that the meat may get bitter with the second smoking. Apparantly this is how the Famous Dave's restaurunts make their brisket.

Do they do it this way because it makes superior product, or because it is more convenient when serving a high volume with a large amount of variation in the number of customers from one day to the next?

There's a show on PBS called America's Test Kitchen. They did a brisket and they thought that they got the best results by letting the meat cool then reheating the next day. They said it improved moisture.

For those of you who can get the American Test Kitchen on your local PBS channel it is show worth watching. I follow a lot of the ways the prepare foods. They also test other items as well. Always have my DVR set record them every Saturday. They also have a web site.

Interesting question...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> They said it improved moisture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I wonder what improves the moisture content with this 2 step procedure. Must think using the physics side of the cooking process...
icon_rolleyes.gif
OK, pull the meat, the meat rests and juices move back towards center. Then put back on for another 2 hours. You'd still probably want to let it rest after that I would think. The second heating wouldn't be a big deal as far as the smoke goes; you could always just use straight lump/charcoal if you are worried about too much smoke. Heck for two hours, you could reheat in the oven (no disrespect to the brotherhood intended). It sounds like more work, but possibly worth a try.

Thats how I am doing it. Re-heating in the oven. OR on the propane grill with a aluminum foil wrap of wood pellets. Just started the brisket and wow what a suprise. RAIN
icon_frown.gif
Oh well, guess the wheather channel was right for a change
icon_smile.gif

Back