Brisket done Franklin BBQ style

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
First time trying the Franklin Brisket on my WSM. Turned out great! Only surprise was it only took 9.25 hours on a 13.65 lb. brisket to hit the target 205 internal temp. Can't wait to try it again.

tried to maintain 250, temp dropped to 225 about 2.5 hrs. in and then was able to stay between 250 to 260 the rest of the way. I didn't take the internal temp till about 5 hrs. in which was 164. It hit 170 at the 7 hour mark. Wrapped it in pink butcher paper, back on for 2.25 hrs. and hit 205 and done.

Last edited:
did you check temp in multiple places? I was doing a brisket one time and was amazed at the temp increase so fast....luckily i checked in multiple areas and found it really wasnt the case......i probably inserted the probe to close to the outside of the meat.

I did. Didn't worry about the point as much as I did the flat. Once that read 200 to 205 I pulled it off and rested it a cooler for about 2.5 hrs.. Turned out very tender and moist. Vac sealed most of the point and put in the freezer in order to make burnt ends another day.

My biggest concern with probe placement in a brisket, is getting a reading from that seam of fat between the point and the flat. Seems I can never feel comfortable with it.

I just use a weber instant read digital and stick it in several spots when checking. Average them out and it seems to work.

I just use a weber instant read digital and stick it in several spots when checking. Average them out and it seems to work.

I shouldve been clearer, I was speaking to checking doneness, I was talking about monitoring all through the cook.

Back