Brisket -- Do you have a secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've never been completely happy with my brisket. (Usuing the method on this site.) Does anyone have a "one trick that you must remember is" trick?

Stone, could you go into some detail about how your make yours.What rub do you use. What temp to you cook at. Do you foil it at all. What temp do you take the meat to. Do you foil and let it rest after it's finnished and how long do you let it rest.

Here is my method and it's worked great for me on several cooks.

First of all, I try and keep the WSM temp under 230 for most of the cook. I'll let it drop all the way down to 200 before making any adjustments. However, I watch it VERY closely once the meat temp reaches 160. I try and keep the meat in the "magic" zone (160 to 165) for as long as possible.

Once the meat hits 170 then I foil it and bring the cooker temp up a bit, 250 to 260. Then I just wait for it to get to 200 - 205. Then I take it off put it in a cooler and wait a couple of hours.

The results have always been very tender and very juicy. The main trick is...DON'T RUSH IT! Every time I've tried to rush this process I've been disappointed with the results.

Hope this helps you.

I do like Jim, at 170 I foil it. But one thing I picked up is when you wrap it in the foil add some liquid. Some folks add Dr. Pepper. I like to add some beef broth - about 3/4 of a cup. There is one brand that is head and shoulders above the others and it is called "Better than Bouillon". It is a paste that you mix with hot water. That stuff has the best flavor.

Also, by the time you get the brisket to 170, you can always finish it in the oven. No shame in that. After you foil it, you're not gonna pick up more smoke flavor anyway.

I pull my briskets from the cooker when the meat hits 180, wrap it in heavy duty foil and a towel and stick it in a cooler for couple hours. Always comes out very moist and tender. I have never tried foiling before.

My secret is the same as Larry's: when the meat hits 180, take it off, wrap in foil and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours. For my last brisket, I poured a little apple juice into the foil. It was moist, tender, and competition quality.

I'm with Jim, Sometimes i foil, some times i don't at 170. I too take mine to 200-205. Then i let it rest for at least 1 hour 2 is Better. You need to let all the juices and fat redistribute through it. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back