Brisket Cup ??

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I just picked up a 4.12lb brisket at W/D. It'a all I can find around here today. The label show "WHOLE BF BRISKET CUP". Looks like a flat. Iv'e only done one brisket a long time ago. Turned out OK, but not great. Any advise? Would like to have it ready to eat around 4-5pm Sunday.

Is the fat cap still on it? I cook flats but never one that small, be careful or it will dry out. I would wrap it at 165-170 with some kind of liquid until its around 200.

Good to hear from you Dean,
It has a 1/4 " fat cap on covering 70% of one side, but there is some fat through out the meat. Yeh, it's not the best choice. Do you have any more advise? How long to cook, temps, woods, rub, prep? I got all night. Any advise on "some kind of liquid"?
I am a beginner on beef, pork is easy.

I cook flats at 250 with cherry and hickory. Any rub you like will work, I prefer something with some heat and just a little sweetness, texas bbq rub is a good one. I couldn't guess on the time. I look for 7 pound flats and they usually take around 8 hours including the time in the foil. They take longer if I cook them on the FE. When wrapping, I put around a 1/2 cup of beef broth in the foil with them. Good Luck!!

Back