Brisket cook times -- what the heck?

Jesse Whitla

Hey everyone,

With the wife away visiting relatives this week, I’m guilty of indulging in one my guilty pleasures: cooking BBQ. I decided to cook a brisket and some ribs, and invite a few friends over for lunch today.

The 9 lb brisket barely cooked 9 hours to completion (I pulled at internal temp of 185F/188F, measured in the flat). The last time I cooked a brisket on my WSM it was an 11 pounder that went 16 hours, so I was a little surprised that this latest one cooked so quickly. I did a little checking here and now realize that there can be quite a window of variation in cook times (from 1 to 1 ½ hours per pound seems to be the consensus).

I’m appealing to those afflicted by the curse of data collection. What extremes have y’all noticed in brisket cooking times and how often do these outliers occur? On a brisket this size, a deviation of ½ hour per pound is 4 hours, give or take, and this can be a little treacherous for an overnight cook…as I found out last night
icon_eek.gif

Oh, and by the way, this website is outstanding. The knowledge one can gain here on how to refine one's BBQ skills is priceless. I give thanks to its creator.

All comments are welcome.

I found that brisket can sense how much time you have available
icon_eek.gif
. If you have plenty of time, a 10# brisket will cook in 10 - 11 hours
wsmsmile8gm.gif
, but if you start a 10 pounder at 5 AM aiming for dinner at 6 PM it will take at least 15 hours.
icon_redface.gif

Has anyone else noticed this?
icon_confused.gif

Rich,

Didn't think anyone else bought the 'smart meat' -- I've had the same experience. Guess that's why it's an art and not a science.

Back