Brisket cook time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm doing a brisket Friday for my son who is on leave for 10 days from the USMC. The brisket is small (6lbs). I need advise on cook time and internal temp. of finshed product.
Nick P.

Well, I am no pro, but have had lots of success with my briskets. It takes roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound to get them to internal temp cooking at about 225F. I like to cook my briskets to about 180F (internal) then foil them until they reach close to 200F (internal). Then I pull it off and wrap it in a blanket and put it in a dry cooler for at least an hour or so.

So a 6 pounder would take anywhere from 6 to 9 hours to cook. If it were me, I would plan for about 8 hours and be prepared to hold it in the cooler longer if need be. Just don't underestimate the cook time or your guests may end up hungry as they wait
icon_wink.gif

Nick, many schools of how to cook them but one thing is for sure. Keep your temp in the smoker at 225 or lower. I agree w/ Steve, you'll be looking at 1 1/2 hrs to 2hrs a pound. So I would plan more on the 12 hr time frame than 9 but that's me. Try to keep the temp of the smoker where I mentioned as the fat in the brisket will boil and the finished product seems more like a well done pot roast if the temp in the cooker gets to high or the internal temp goes over 190(I've done it).

Take it to an internal of 180 to 190 and then take it off and wrap it in heavy duty foil and put it in a dry cooler to rest for a few hours. Then slice it or shred it and enjoy!

Some guys like to take the meat to 160 and then foil it and put it back on the smoker till it gets to 190 but thats preference. I might try that next time but not foiling is just fine as well.

Give yourself enough time and be patient...by the way, tell your son thank you for doing what he is doing for us. I appreciate his willingess to serve his country...let him know that I sure hope his return is safe and speedy! I, like you Nick, am very proud of your son!!

I've pulled mine in the 160s and foiled 'em and stuck 'em in a cooler and eaten 'em a few hours later and they were GREAT! I've rarely taken 'em as high as others here do routinely. I like to slice mine rather than shred it, tho maybe it's still sliceable at higher temps.

If it seems tender and has hung out in the 160's for awhile and I'm pressed for time, off it comes. Haven't had a loser yet.

I live by the Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby advice that says that the conversion of collagen to gelatin starts to occur when the meat reaches 140F....and really occurs well at the higher temps near 200F. Brisket is a tough cut of meat and the hotter the internal temp is, the more tender it will be...from what I know. I personally would cook it to at least 190F...but that is just my taste.

Steve, in regards to pork butts I whole heartedly agree w/ taking temps up to 195-200+.

However, in regards to brisket and the info I have gathered and researched, this is not the case for brisket. My cousin is a BBQ caterer and he specifically advises against taking brisket temps higher than 190.

In any event and as always, it is all personal preference and what tastes good to you is right for you!

Here's my 2 cents worth. I used to take them in the 180-185 range pull them foil and let rest. Did them that way for years and they were great. After some advice from a competion brisket man i now take them to 198-202 range let them rest for 2 hrs minimum slice and IMO are way better this way. They slice up fine. Bryan

I've never shredded a flat. We prefer it sliced. I would guess if you wanted to shred it then you would have to go with the grain instead of cuting across the grain. Just a guess since i never done one. Anybody else?

Nick,
I did my first Brisket flat a couple of weeks ago. Weighed 6.6lbs. Cooked 9 hours at an average of 225 until an internal temp of 183 was hit. Twice during the smoking time, I sprayed apple juice on it to keep it moist. I wrapped in foil and towels after spraying more apple juice and put in a cooler for a couple of hours. It was moist and tender!
icon_smile.gif

Well we will find out tommorrow. I'll start smokin around 7 AM for dinner @ 7 PM. Thanks to all

Nick P.

Nick, if you have a thin flat figure about 1 hour a pound. If it's a thick flat figure 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs a pound.

Nick, hope all goes well. Is your brisket a whole brisket of just the flat? If it is a whole brisket, shred the point section...and slice the flat...but I have chopped some of the flat on mine and they do fine...but it is more like diced brisket rather than shredded...unless you really let it cool a long time in foil where it become more like pot roast. (too tender to even slice it)

Steve,
I've got a whole. I must be strange or such because I want to shred the brisket. Most I read like it sliced. Right now it's chugging along at 160 degrees (the guru is great!) It's been there for about 2-2 1/2 hours now. (Must be that magic state) Should be ready (185?)around 6:00 my time, just as my son comes back from visiting his girl.
Nick P.

If for some reason you get into an extended plateau (which I love, except when I'm working against a deadline), you can foil it and pop it in the oven at 300 until it reaches the temp you desire.

It came out great!!! It was my first brisket, took 8 hrs. and was moist and tender. Everybody scoffed it down. If I'm lucky, there is enough left for 1 small sandwich today. Thanks to all for the advise!

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back