Brisket Cook Flat=great, point=tough

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
I just completed a 12lb brisket last night. It was a choice piece of meat and cooked with my usual method. However, the point was very tough. The flat on the other hand came out almost perfect. I cooked to an internal temp of 195 on the flat using average temps of about 225. When the internal temp hit 170 I foiled and finished in the smoker at a slightly higher temp of 240. Any suggestions?

The point probably just needed to be taken to a higher finishing temp. Many separate it from the flat when the flat is done and return it to the cooker, bringing it up to a final of 205°, and then shredding it like pulled pork.

Yeah, I think that in the future I'll do that. Do you ever seperate the point prior to cooking? Or should this be done after the flat reaches it's ideal temp?

You can separate the point prior to cooking, but it tends to protect the thinner end of the flat-- to which it's connected-- from overcooking.

I tend to buy big briskets, so I have often completed separated the point from the flat before cooking, seasoning all surfaces. I restack them, though, so that the point is actually covering more of the flat than it covered before, and go through the entire cook in that manner. I've had good results with that approach.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I concur with the others..the flat usually will be done way before the point(this is really dependenet ont he thickness of the flat)
you can seperate after the flat is done and throw the point back on as others have said

Keri -- do you cook with the fatcap down after separating (which I believe is point down after my first packer)? What effect does putting the point on top have on the bark?

My first packer (small, about 9 lbs) ran for 17 hours at 210-215 and never got up to temp running about 175 in the middle of the flat and about 165 in the flat over the point. I foiled and gave it about an hour at 225. The flat was great, the point tender and sliced nicely, however, I thought that the point (having never had one for comparison) was incompletely rendered. Anyhow, 4 adults and one 19 yearold demolished the brisket only leaving 4 small slices for my breakfast.

Back