Brisket at 160 after 14 hours??

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Last night around 9:00 pm I fired up the WSM with my digi-Q II temp control set for 225 and threw a 7 lb choice flat (fat Side Down) rubbed with a slightly tweaked version of Billy Belly Maynards rub (yum).

This marning I flipped it to Fat side up (per a post I saw from Keri a while back)

I checked the pit temps and have been holding a steady 225 (thanks BBQ Guru DigiQ II)

So I'm 14 hrs into the cook and my internal meat temps are around 160. Does this sound about right?? I was thinking I'd be done soon but it dosent look that way??

What are usual times for a 7 lb brisket ?

any thoughts??

Thanks

Tom, with Briskets, it's not always a time issue. It will be a probe thing. Where when the probe or a fork goes in the brisket without any resistance, it will be done. Most folks will foil at 165 and then cook well into the 190's or even to 200. It will be done when it's done, so sit back and enjoy cook.

I agree Ed, but a 7 lb flat for over 14 hrs? That's a bit much. Even at 225* I wouldn't think it'd take that long.

Have you moved the probe at all to see what the temps are in other sections of the flat?

Personally, I would've bumped the heat up at that point to about 275* or so and I seriously would've considered foiling too. And I don't foil!

I'm taking the temps using a thermapen that is calibrated and did check at several places throughout the roast just checked again I'm at 162-163

Its cold out (we've had several inches overnight) but the temps in the smoker have been stable at 225

found these pearls of wisdom ina post by jim Minion...

he smaller the brisket the less the time rule of thumb is going to work. Connective tissue takes time to break down, a nine pounder or bigger the time per pound will work fairly good.
When cooking one the size you have, it's done when it's tender."

So I'll jsut enjoy the ride!!! not in any rush anyways!!

I have cooked two in the last three weeks in the WSM, Now I tend to allow the smoker to run more at the 250 range and a 7 lb flat will take roughly 10 hours. 14 hours seems like a long time to get to 160. I have never sen one take that long to FINISH, let alone reach foiling temp. I would foil it and fininsh in the oven at 300!

man you have to come back and tell us what happened and how it was, don't forget now. That just sounds crazy but then again those kinds of cuts never stop stumpin me. That sounds like to long... pretty crazy.

Tom have you checked the probe on the DigiQ unit make sure that the cooker is really at 225?

If it is and times run that long I would bump the pit temp and continue cooking.

Jim

I just hope that shortly after the 14 hrs you wrapped the flat in foil, for moistures sake. If not, you could have a very dry flat on your hands. I'd be checking that pit and meat probe as well.
icon_wink.gif
A 7lb. flat at 225º should have been done, cooked too tender somewhere at the 12-14 hr mark, IMO.

I had recently calibrated it. I did test the thermapen in boiling water today and knew it was accurate. I wasn't using the food probe on the Digi-Q. So tonight at your recommendation i did a boil test on the digiq pit probe and I was on the boil test best I could get it to show was 206 so I'm about 6 degrees off at 212. I'll have to read up as I'm pretty sure there are calibration instructions right on the BBQ Guru's website.I foiled at 170'ish and a couple of hours later I was at 190

The Brisket was nice for tenderness but the rub was a little light on flavor (my own fault not the rub as I backed off on the pepper and cayenne and shouldn't have).

I'm going to read up on the high temp cooks try to read every Brisket recipe on the site as I'm looking for that ultimate Brisket experience. I'd like to do really good Traditional Texas Brisket and maybe one with a less conventional taste with a ton of flavor. I'll post a recipe request in the appropriate forum.

Thanks for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd like to do really good Traditional Texas Brisket </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whatever that is. About the only thing that briskets in Texas have in common, imo, is that, unsauced, they are bland. Occasionally, though quite rarely, I'll run into a place that actually seasons in a way that is welcome. Smokiness is common but woods vary, oak and hickory/pecan being more common, mesquite less so. Many places low/slow but many, including the more famous places do not, preferring high heat for all, most or some of the cook, some foiling or wrapping in paper. Brisket is traditional in Texas but approach is not. Even the sauce style varies. Decide what you're shooting for and just go for that.

Great that your flat turned out well. 225 is not needed; fine, but not required and offers no advantage. Consider bumping up the temp for a shorter cook that is still low/slow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
I had recently calibrated it. I did test the thermapen in boiling water today and knew it was accurate. I wasn't using the food probe on the Digi-Q. So tonight at your recommendation i did a boil test on the digiq pit probe and I was on the boil test best I could get it to show was 206 so I'm about 6 degrees off at 212. I'll have to read up as I'm pretty sure there are calibration instructions right on the BBQ Guru's website.I foiled at 170'ish and a couple of hours later I was at 190

The Brisket was nice for tenderness but the rub was a little light on flavor (my own fault not the rub as I backed off on the pepper and cayenne and shouldn't have).

I'm going to read up on the high temp cooks try to read every Brisket recipe on the site as I'm looking for that ultimate Brisket experience. I'd like to do really good Traditional Texas Brisket and maybe one with a less conventional taste with a ton of flavor. I'll post a recipe request in the appropriate forum.

Thanks for the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, go to this site:

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/

Join the forum there, buy some of the brisket blend rub, and lastly, fly down in November and join us for our Q-fest party! Bill makes a great rub. I use it in my catering business. I am not paid by them or anything, I am just not into re-inventing the wheel! Some of the guys here are members there, Tom Ferguson and myself for two! Tom came to Q-fest one year right Tom?

True dat Kevin! We ate at Smitty's , Black's and Kreuz Market in Lockhart, as well as City Market in Luhling, and they all pretty much use salt, pepper, and garlic . In all honesty, in that central Tejas region, they all seem more proud of their sausage than the beef! It is almost like the beef and ribs are an afterthought! The Tejas BBQ Rub is LOADED with spices and flavor . Alot of sugar too!

I'm not much of a fan of much sugar with beef but the spices would be nice! Kreuz has the blandest brisket I've ever had (doesn't help that they don't serve sauce, just the awful Texas Pete's). The sausages in central can be good often, sometimes not, but pork ribs are not their forte. There is a place south of Black's that I've yet to try. Paul K (from here) mentioned it.

Back