Brisket and Turkey Breast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A friend of my son's cooked 3 briskets on an offsett this past weekend and didn't like them at all, so he gave a nine pounder to us for me to do... My question is this... I work so much at our little restuarant that I really don't want to pull an all nighter for my first brisket - so can I cut this thing in half and only smoke half now and the other a few days later... A good rub suggestion would also be helpful...
Next, I want to do a whole turkey breast next week for my son's girlfriend, who doesn't do beef or pork... I saw the recipe on the "let's cook site", but really want some help on doing a whole breast... Do I brine? Again, suggestions on a rub would be appreciated..
Thanks to everyone on this site for all their help for us "newbies"... It has really been a big help.
Gary in Searcy, AR

Gary,

If you're under time pressure, cook the brisket using the method described in Brisket - Smoked & Oven Finished. Smoke it to 165*F internal, then foil and finish in a 300*F oven until it reaches 205*F internal temp, about another 90 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes then dive it. It shaves quite a bit of time off the cooking process and results in really tender brisket.

When you talk about whole turkey breast, I assume you mean both breasts still on the bone. I would brine it, especially if you're going to smoke it skin-on. The brine will put some flavor into the breast meat. Just a basic mix of 1 cup kosher salt OR 1/2 cup table salt to 1 gallon of water will be fine, plus any other flavorings you want to add. I'd probably brine that for 4-5 hours.

I'll let others comment on rubs.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back