Brisket AND Pork Butt

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
Any recommendations for doing 5-6# Butt and 5-6# Flat at the same time? Top v. Bottom, wood, cook time, etc.? Got some fans of beef and some fans of pork coming by...

Pork on top, brisket on bottom fat side down. Let the PB baste the brisket (Pork Fat Rules!). I would use a combination of hickory and cherry wood. But pecan is good, I've used apple as well. Cook time depends on temp you run at. I would do it as an overnighter.

I'll be running at 230* average. Figuring 2 hours per pound. If the pork bastes the flat, would you need to wrap the flat at 170*?

It is really up to you. When I cook flats at home sometimes I foil and sometimes I don't. I check the temps when I get up and then decide. If the temps are still 160 to 170s I'll foil, if they are higher I let it finish unfoiled. Try to get everything done in time to rest for at least 2 or 3 hrs befor serving. Wrap in foil and store in a warm cooler.

I'm guessing that with the flat on the bottom you will need to foil.

All of the above will work and good ideas. I also wait at least 2 hours after the butt goes on before adding the brisket. I only used cherry and apple the last time and to me wasn't enough smoke, I will use at least 1 chunk of oak or hickory from now on. At 230 I would guess 12 to 14 hours would do fine maybe even less. Sometimes I wrap in foil and other times not so that is up to you and how the meat looks to you.

Thanx for the input. It's the flat that concerns me most as it's not as forgiving as the butt. Maybe waiting 2-3 hours is the answer. I'll let you know.

Back