brisket and pork butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesley peterson

Got my smoker for christmas and want to use it this weekend. Can you cook brisket and pork butt together? I assume you cook pork longer, is it better to put pork or beef or top?

Wesley,

I did two butts and a brisket flat this past weekend. It worked fine. I guess the timing of each being done would depend on the size of each piece of meat. My flat took about 9 hours, and the butts went about 14 hours. I think there are some previous posts dealing with this subject, you might try the search function and see if you find some useful information. Congratulations on the new smoker and good luck!

Wayne

Conventional wisdom-- or somebody with a similar name-- says that it's better to put the butt on top, for two reasons: Pork fat dripping on the brisket below bastes the less-fatty beef cut. And the slightly higher temp of the upper grate benefits longer cooking time the butt typically requires, thus hopefully bringing the finishing time of both meats closer together.

I put them both on at the same time. Butt on top, brisket on bottom. The brisket usually finishes before the butt, so I wrap it and put it in the cooler to await the butt. A good long rest usually helps my briskets. You can keep the brisket warm in the cooler for 4+ hours if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back