Briquettes vs. Lump?!

Still a newbie with the WSM...

KBB seems to be foolproof and easy to find. I am still trying to locate some Weber briq's...

I am about halfway through a bag of FoGo lump. Definitely burns much hotter than the briq's do so I am using it in my WSM in 'grill-mode'. However, the lumps are HUGE and difficult to light. The large size makes it challenging to get an even temperature with some of the larger blocks almost touching the grill grate. Measuring what is in the chimney is harder too..

I like the idea of lump, but need to try a few more before I cast my final vote.

When I have used FOGO lump, I have used it to add to an already burning campfire to get some in there so that we have about an hour to do a nice cook of whatever meal is that night's menu item....usually ribeyes or burgers. So obviously it lights no problem.

I am about halfway through a bag of FoGo lump. Definitely burns much hotter than the briq's do so I am using it in my WSM in 'grill-mode'. However, the lumps are HUGE and difficult to light. The large size makes it challenging to get an even temperature with some of the larger blocks almost touching the grill grate. Measuring what is in the chimney is harder too..

Still a newbie with the WSM...

KBB seems to be foolproof and easy to find. I am still trying to locate some Weber briq's...

I like the idea of lump, but need to try a few more before I cast my final vote.

Weber Briquettes at Home Depot

Someone posted the link a few weeks ago for Weber briquettes at Home Depot. At my door a few days later.

Like many others, I have found the KBB is getting to be almost unusable now. The grill temps are fine, but it turns to ash really fast now and I don't get as much cooking time as before.

On my last overnight cook, a load of KBB was still going when I pulled the pork shoulder off the smoker at the 15.5 hour mark. WSM 18, no water. Did give the coals a stir at about the 12 hour mark.

40 pounds for 20 bucks pretty much all the time at just about any store. A little less when on sale. For me, it is all I will ever need.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Back