Briquettes in Canada - Where to buy bulk/cheap

From the few brands of I've tried here in Alberta ML is the best performing so far.

The last time I tried RO lump it was sparking so badly I couldn't get near until they were half way consumed.

Bought another brand using Argentinian sourced wood and that lump had a hard time staying lit. Had one chunk that lasted 2 bbq's without being combusted. I don't normally think of bringing out an o2 source but this was tempting.

Wish I could find a source for the Kingsford Competition stuff for a trial.

Trev,

I'd be interested in doing a bulk buy. That price you gave is a $4.50 saving per bag. I need to convince my wife first.

Which Nella did you go to? I'm pretty much in downtown Toronto.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Trev,

I'd be interested in doing a bulk buy. That price you gave is a $4.50 saving per bag. I need to convince my wife first.

Which Nella did you go to? I'm pretty much in downtown Toronto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello G Dechaine, the Nella I dealt with was the one in Mississauga, at 1655 Finfar court. IIRC, it's just off the QEW and easy to get to. I took north service road, that's why I'm hazy on the exact location. It's easy to find through mapquest, though.
You might want to give them a quick ring to make sure the prices are still the same.
If it's easier then you could PM me and we'll set up a time to meet there.

Trev.

Anyone called Nella about this?? I drive by there all the time so I'd love it if they kept ML Lump in stock at that price!!

Correction to my post: I picked up the lump at 148 Norfinch Drive, which is just off the 400, north of Toronto. I was at the other location mentioned just kicking around looking at stuff.
Norfinch is close to the 407 and 400 and is quite easy to get to.
Scooter, the prices in the spring were ~$18 for single bags, ~$15 for >12 but <20 bags, and ~$12 for 20 bags or more.
Here's their number at the Norfinch location if you're interested.
416-740-2424

Just a note to anyone who maybe doesn't want to buy bulk, my home hardware here is selling 18lb bags of ML for $13, only a buck cheaper than bulk. I would assume alot of them carry it, as my home hardware is basically a hole in the wall here

Yep, that's 12.99 for briquettes and 17.99 for lump- quite a difference in price. My local Home Hardware has the same pricing. As near as I know the ML briqs use a starch binder and are really clean to burn, too. Might be worth it to check out that option. I'm in love with ML lump and the price is right so I'll likely stick with what I'm buying now. Also, when I split an order with someone else, I find 10 bags to be manageable as far as space goes.
Good info, Matt.

Edit: They use wheat starch. Here's what OGB has to say about ML briqs. --> http://www.bbqs.com/canada-map...-charcoal-p-126.html

What are the current prices of the charcoal you're buying? Maple Leaf lump is $17.99 at my Home Hardware (too expensive IMO). The only other option for me is Royal Oak lump from CT. I buy the 4kg bags ($13.78 for 2 bags) b/c it's cheaper than buying 1 8kg bag ($14.99).

The only other option I know about is Barbecues Galore but they seem to only sell premium (expensive) lump. Unless they sell bulk if anyone knows?

Back