Brinkmann

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone on here ordered any products from Brinkmann lately? I am having some major issues with their customer service. I ordered a replacement charcoal pan over two weeks ago on the phone (with a service rep), and have yet to receive it. Every time I call their 800 number, it is either busy or I am placed on hold FOREVER! What is going on with that company? I need this charcoal pan before August 27th. Wondering if my order was ever placed.

They took 3 or 4 weeks getting mine to me but that's not unusual for parcel post to Alaska.

Griff

Hello Russ:

What part of SC do you live in? If you don't receive your Brinkmann water pan in time and live close to Greenville, I'll let you borrow mine.

Russell, go to the bass pro shops web site. They have them for $4.00 and should be able to get one to you before the end of this week.

Virgil

Don't worry, Be happy! Ya right.

I bought a Brinkman (ecb) smoker 2 years ago. I had problem with it from day 1. After several emails and 1 written letter I have received no responses at all.

Then I found the WSM. Cost 4 to 5 times more than the Brinkman did but out cooks it by at least 20 gazillion to 1. I now use the Brinkman as a side table or sometimes as a grill for corn and potatoes.

Didn't mean to vent. I understand that some people have had great success with some of the Brinkman smokers.

I appreciate everyone's help on this one...I live in Greenville, SC, so I can get the charcoal pan from the Bass Pro Shop. Had read a post on here where the BPS version was not constructed as well as Brinkmann's. Is the BPS version really made of porcelain? I'm looking to expand my existing Weber water pan so I don't have to replace water as often, and that's why i'm buying a charcoal pan instead of a water pan.

Thanks

Porcelain enamel coated, that is. I doubt that Brinkmann is manufacturing pans of lower quality for different vendors.

Tom Barineau
TVWBB Fan
Posted July 22, 2005 02:51 PM
I ordered two from Bass Pro Shops because I couldn't believe how cheap they were either--until I got them.

I have an old Brinkmann charcoal pan and it is much thicker and well made than what Bass Pro Shops sells. They are flimsy to the point that if filled with sand or water, they feel like the rim could flex and possibly come off the supports. (I can flex the rims very easily with my hands.)

Two came in damaged and they replaced them for nothing and I kept the others. Second two came in damaged as well so I said to heck with it.

Anyone gotten one from Brinkmann recently??
If so, how well made are they?

Tom Barineau
TVWBB Fan
Posted July 23, 2005 06:28 AM
I think that I failed to properly make my point in my previous post on this subject.

I don't believe that what Bass Pro Shops sells is a product that is manufactured by/for Brinkmann, but rather a cheap imitation that is the same size as the Brinkmann brand.

The pan from Brinkmann might be worth the extra money. When the porcelain chips or cracks on a thin piece of metal and you add water, it doesn't take long for rust to create a hole. JMHO.

Tom

The pan I have was purchased from Academy Sports for $4.99. According to what I observed, they are shipped 12 to a box, stacked nested, without much packing material. I had to go through a whole stack to find a decent one. It had two labels on the bottom, one of which was a UPC bar code with the same prefix as other Brinkmann labeled items in the store, the other was a model number label that coincides with the number listed on the Brinkmann website.

On Bass Pro's website, the pan is listed as "Brinkmann’s® Porcelain-Coated Charcoal Pan" (note trademark). Otherwise, it should say something like "Porcelain-Coated Charcoal Pan for Brinkmann" if it is not manufactured by Brinkmann. So, if Bass Pro is shipping a knock off and passing it off as authentic Brinkmann, they are guilty of false advertising. I very much doubt this, as they go so far as to denote (with a yellow star symbol) items which are their own brands.

Update: Out of curiosity, I phoned Brinkmann customer service to inquire about this, and had a lengthy conversation with a knowledgeable-sounding rep. Good thing, too -- I was on hold 30 minutes. He said the pans at Academy and Bass Pro were the same as those supplied directly by Brinkmann, and the reasons for the price discrepancy were two-fold. One, the big box stores, as distributors, are buying multiple pallet quantities at a time, and secondly, Brinkmann has non-compete agreements with its distributors. He could not speak to why the pans I saw at Academy were in such poor condition, but said he would pass the info up the line.

My guess, since I also have an old Brinkmann smoker (circa 1983), with a pan that I consider better made than the one I got from Academy, is that the quality of the pan has changed since Tom and I obtained our original ones.

Yea my brinkmann pan I got from Bass pro shops was really cheap too. It was all bent up when I got it, I swear it looked used. I didnt make a stink about it though, as it was so cheap, and it functioned fine. I havent had a problem with it yet. However, I've been storing my WSM down at my parents in Charleston until I finish college and have some money to Q!

Loads of Greenville guys here, finally coming outta the shadows! 22 yr old Q'er here.

Paul J.

I recently ordered a Brinkman pan. I too was subjected to hold times ranging from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. The first order I placed was somehow lost by Brinkman. I even made sure to have the Woman read back all the order information to me over the phone. But, after 2 weeks and no pan, I called back only to find out that Brinkman had my name and address on file, but no orders. So I re-ordered the pan and eventually received it. I'm glad I did not purchase one of their smokers! Therir customer service does suck.

Back