brinkmann water pan in WSM?

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
I have seen a few guys mention something about a brinkmann high volume water pan. is it the water pan or charcoal pan? Do i need to make any mods to fir it in my wsm? thanks guys

Hunter
smokin since monday

As the link Matt supplied states, it is the Brinkman charcoal pan.
icon_wink.gif

It's the water pan, and no changes are needed. Just set it on the tabs as you would the Weber pan. Unless things are different than days gone by, the Brinkman charcoal pan has a hole in the bottom.

Originally posted by Howard Barlow:
It's the water pan, and no changes are needed. Just set it on the tabs as you would the Weber pan. Unless things are different than days gone by, the Brinkman charcoal pan has a hole in the bottom.

Nope, it's the Brinkman charcoal pan. It doesn't have any holes in it...Brinkman is not intelligent enough to figure out that burning charcoal needs air to, well, remain burning.
icon_wink.gif

Yep, charcoal pan. You can pick one up at Academy Sports for 5 bucks. If I remember correctly ordering one from Brinkman was about 15 bucks.

Originally posted by Phil R.:
...Brinkman is not intelligent enough to figure out that burning charcoal needs air to, well, remain burning.
icon_wink.gif

I heard Brinkman had to change the design after a lit coal dropped out of the hole and started a fire. Apparently instructing people to put the cooker on a non-flammable surface just wasn't enough.

Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
I heard Brinkman had to change the design after a lit coal dropped out of the hole and started a fire. Apparently instructing people to put the cooker on a non-flammable surface just wasn't enough.
That refers a pan from a much older model that was indeed recalled due to exactly that issue-- I have one, it's about 22 years old. That pan, however, bears no resemblance to the one used as a larger capacity water pan in a WSM.

The pan you want is the charcoal pan, when used in the very cheapest ECB. To add to the confusion, the same pan is used as the water pan in the slightly less cheap Brinkmann Gourmet smoker (which has a two-piece charcoal pan). The Gourmet charcoal smoker is usually green, and has a removable center section with two handles. The cooking grids are the right diameter so that you can put one on top of your WSM's charcoal grate, at right angles, to keep smaller pieces of lump charcoal from falling through. So if you can pick up a Gourmet really cheap at a yard sale, there's at least two components you can use.

Originally posted by Phil R.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howard Barlow:

Nope, it's the Brinkman charcoal pan. It doesn't have any holes in it...Brinkman is not intelligent enough to figure out that burning charcoal needs air to, well, remain burning.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I gotta admit, it was about...oh...30+ years ago I bought my ECB.
icon_biggrin.gif
Things change overnight.
icon_razz.gif

Back