Brinkman Electric Smoker

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
While vacationing at my in-laws in Branson, MO I happened to notice a brand new Brinkman electric smoker sitting in the father-in-law's garage. It had set there for probably a year so i decided to put it to the test. Started a 6# pork butt, hickory chunks, at around 3AM and pulled it off at 192 degrees at 1:30PM. Looked beautiful and will let the family do the taste test for dinner.

Although I am devoted to my WSM at home this sure was a piece of cake to use. Plug it in and let 'er rip. Did not have a thermometer for the smoker temp but assume it was around 225.

i seen you had no responses, so I will say something. My younger brother bought an electric char-broil smoker. although he has since then lost interest in bbq. Im not afraid to say it did a fantastic job and i was more then happy to eat what he cooked. It was excellent for the price. now I didn't say i preferr one over a charcoal fire or the wsm, but pay close attention to this next part
icon_smile.gif
. I think for the money he really has something. there cheap and that thing really works and really truly is set and forget. we just had to manage to figure out how to get wood to smoke in there but didn't take much time at all. im not afraid to say i thought it was a good product as far as what you pay for it. im not as familier with the brinkmann electric. The charcoal ones are absolutely horrible in my opinion
icon_biggrin.gif
have a good one.

We are back at the in-laws again in Branson and I am sure that the Brinkman electric smoker has not been used since last year's successful pork butt cook. This year we are doing 3 racks of BB ribs. Plugged it in at 12:30 and within just a short time the hickory smoke was rolling out. Still love my Weber but this sure is easy. We'll see how the ribs turn out - planning a 3-2-1 cook.

I was given a Brinkmann electric smoker as a gift in 2006. I lived in apartments at the time that didn't allow gas or charcoal grills/smokers but did allow electric. (I was actually ticketed by the fire marshall once for having the smoker out on my patio, and had to clear the issue up since I had an electric).

Anyhow, my experience was not good with the specific smoker I had. The electric coil did not work properly and the unit didn't come close to cooking temperatures. I returned the unit to the store and had no problems getting a replacement unit, but had the same problem. Don't know if the apartment wasn't wired properly or if I just had really bad luck!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KC Lee:
Anyhow, my experience was not good with the specific smoker I had. The electric coil did not work properly and the unit didn't come close to cooking temperatures. I returned the unit to the store and had no problems getting a replacement unit, but had the same problem. Don't know if the apartment wasn't wired properly or if I just had really bad luck!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Were you using a long extension cord at the time?

[/QUOTE]Were you using a long extension cord at the time?[/QUOTE]

You know, that was probably the issue. It wasn't especially long, maybe an 8-ft outdoor extension cord, but there was no outlet on the apartment's outdoor patio. So I had to run an extension cord to inside the apt.

So that's figured out, three years later

I hope the ribs turned out well for you Jerry. I started on that style Brinkman several years ago and gave it to a friend when I purchased the WSM. Had a picnic on July 4th and asked if he would bring it along. We did Keri's beans on it an some ABT'S and they came out great.

Kevin

I started on a Cabela's Electric Smoker (made by Masterbilt), and it worked pretty well. It could hit 1650 watts (most only do 1300 - 1500), and I could get it to hold anywhere from 170 - 325 pretty well. I still have it because it was really easy to use.

The two issues I had are:
1. Rainstorms or wet ground always concerned me with electric even if it sat 3' off the ground.
2. Could easily cause a circuit breaker to trip since it went up to 1650. This would happen frequently in the morning due to hair dryers, etc in the house (bathrooms were on the outside circuit).

But, I really liked it. I'd frequently toss a few pieces of charcoal in the pan to give a little charcoal flavor to the meat.

Since they don't use it, take the water pan and use it in your WSM, they work better than the WSM pan...*lol*

Back