Brining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I know Thanksgiving is over and there was much conversation about brining turkeys on this group and another I belong to. If brining works so well on turkeys and other poultry, would it work just as well on larger cuts of meat like briskets and pork butts?

Bruce, there's some discussion about this in the All About Brining topic.

Generally, lean cuts of meat with mild flavor tend to be the best candidates for brining. Meats with lots of fat and rich flavor don't benefit as much from brining, but a brined brisket is a corned beef or pastrami, so it can be done.

I don't think there's any need to ever brine a pork butt. You can try brining ribs, although I don't think that's necessary, either.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Bruce!

I am not a big briner, but will always brine my pork loins. As Chris mentioned, brining is great for very lean pieces of meat....especially if they need to be cooked longer...like pork loin.

I never brine pork tenderloins as they cook much faster and will hold their moisture if taken off the heat at the right point.

Our Sam's has had tenderloins for $2.08/lb..that's a case price...and they are non-injected and absolutely FABULOUS!! That's all I have been eating in the pork family lately!

Because they are rather thin, in diameter, you can really get some great flavors just by rubbing and applying a light glaze.

I was surprised to find out that Harold McGhee does not brine.

I have to admit that I brine my pork only about 50% of the time. I do brine every turkey I make and will continue to do so until one comes out dry.

I brine lean pork cuts, chicken and turkey, and shrimp. Though not surprised that Harold McGhee does not brine--many people don't--what is surprising is his statement that "[t]he meat and pan residues end up much saltier than I like, and the overall flavor one-dimensional."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... meat and pan residues end up much saltier than I like ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> when I did my little experiment with the chicken breasts on Saturday, the meat that was brined with no added sugar tasted salty, but the meat that was brined with the same amount of salt and with sugar added did not taste salty.

I'm thinking sugar is important in the brine and either prevents excess salt from being deposited in the meat or masks it somehow.

I would imagine there would be some displacement of sugar v, salt which would explain that result.

Brining so depends on the salt concentration of your solution and the length of time you soak your meat. For instance, in your experiment (see this link) you're using a pretty strong brine solution on fairly permeable meat (chicken breast, no bone or skin) for a fairly long time for that type of cut. I was not surprised it tasted salty (but realize your endeavor was more about the differences of a salt v. a salt/sugar solution). If you experiment further, you may wish to add brine concentration and time as elements to explore. I think you'll find it interesting. I'd be intersted in your thoughts should you do so.

Btw, I made your variation of brined salmon, appetizer style, with the dry minced onion yesterday. Delicious. Used Key lime wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back