Brining question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all. I'm having a big smoke-fest tomorrow night for all my coworkers and I need to prep a mixture of poultry and beef. Does anyone know of any reason not to combine the two meats for brining? I'd like to brine everything at the same time in one large container. I don't think there'd be a problem with that, but the thought of combining poultry and beef in the same mixture makes me hesitate. I don't know why...

Thanks!
-Bob

Beef is typically not brined, unless one is making corned beef or pastrami. What were you planning as far as beef goes--brisket, chuck roll?

In any event, I would brine meats separately.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris! Yeah, brisket, some tri-tip. I'll brine separately. You don't usually brine beef? I've been doing. I don't know if it's helped or not. Maybe I'll brine only the poultry for tomorrow and see how it comes out. You suggest that?

-Thanks again!
-Bob

Yeah, just the poultry. I don't think I know of anyone brining beef, except for the two cases I mentioned above. Brining benefit lean cuts of meat, beef usually has enough internal fat to not warrant brining.

Regards,
Chris

I've never brined beef or pork for that matter, but I always brine turkey and chicken. The only reason I can think of to brine beef other than corned beef and pastrami, is to impart flavor into it with a flavoring brine.

-mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back