Brining and smoking a FRESH ham

Jason J

TVWBB Fan
Hello All,

For whatever reason, I decided to try my hand at brining and smoking a fresh ham. I picked up a 12 lb ham butt and had them half that. I have 2 ham butts now.

I am going to attempt to brine the smaller butt which is 4.69 lbs. I will be following the recipe here: http://askville.amazon.com/cur...do?requestId=4861996.

My biggest question is, for a 4.69 lb ham butt, how many days should I brine it for? Also, once it goes on the smoker, what temperature should I smoke it at?

Lastly, if I choose to take it off the smoker and on to the gas to glaze it, at what temperature should I pull it off the smoker and transfer to the grill? OR should I keep it on the smoker and just baste and glaze there?

I searched around but there is not a lot of info on fresh hams so sorry if I missed anything in previous posts.

If you inject the cure - which I recommend since the butt end is thick and you'll get a more even cure - cure for 6-7 days. Make sure you inject well along the bone. Then immerse in the brine. If you do not inject double the time.

If you want some flavor out of the brine increase the flavor components substantially. The small amount of pickling spice and clove won't do it.

Smoke the ham using your smokewood of choice at ~225-240 to either ~150-152 or so or, if glazing to finish, smoke to 140 first then glaze, applying thinly but evenly every 15 min, till the ham reaches your target.

Awesome. I ordered my cure #1. As soon as that is here, Ill get to mixing and brining. Not sure if ham is worth soo much trouble!

I assume I still need to trim a good amount of the fat layer on the outside of the ham?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I searched around but there is not a lot of info on fresh hams so sorry if I missed anything in previous posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're using the wrong search terms. Try "hamonster."
icon_biggrin.gif

The charcuterie section may be a better place for this thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Henderson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I searched around but there is not a lot of info on fresh hams so sorry if I missed anything in previous posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're using the wrong search terms. Try "hamonster."
icon_biggrin.gif

The charcuterie section may be a better place for this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES! That is exactly what I needed. Lots of good info and links in there. Thanks so much!

Just an update. I cured this for 6 days and fried a small slice and it was way too salty. I dumped the brine and put in fresh water to pull out some of the salt. I will be smoking it tomorrow. Will update with pictures!

Well got this thing smoked tonight for my "Christmas" dinner with my parents before they leave town. Brined it for 6 days, was too salty and used freshwater to draw out salt for a day and a half. I used Meatheads Memphis rub (already had some made yay!) on the outside.

Put it on the WSM at 4:30 pulled it at roughly 7:30. Smoked it at 325 degrees for a 6.6 lb fresh ham. I did have to prop the side door open a tad with a wire coat hanger to get the WSM up to that temp. Starting at 145 degrees I began basting it with a mixture I made myself. 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup apple cider, 1/4 cup yellow mustard. I probably pulled it off a tad late at 158 degrees internal. Should have pulled it at 145 as I put it in a faux cambro to rest until the rest of the dinner was ready. Happy to say the meat was pink to the bone! It was super good though! My mom said it was the best ham she had eaten in years. I got a lot of meat off it. I will be making split pea soup using the bone and left over attached meat to the bone. This was a lot of work. Fun...but not sure I will make this a habit
icon_smile.gif
I do have the other half of the fresh ham to do at some point.

20111221_201819.jpg

Full Pictures Here

Back