bringing temp down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, last night during my all night cook, i woke up to find my wsm at 265 at grate level, and abou 300 the dome...this was with all lower vents closed.

I was wondering what i could do to bring the temp down if all vents are closed and the temp is high/rising?

using minion method. The temperature spiked afer like 4 or 5 hours, so i dont thikn i lit too much charcoal.

jason

hrmm yes, good idea/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ay 4am after just waking up, i didnt htikn of that, i just splashed some water on the coals....i know not the best idea, but it worked/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

j

Jason...

Close the top vent! Very easy and works every time with no ill effects.

My reasoning......if you close the bottom vents and the temp is still rising, then you have a leak somewhere(NOT unusual at all). So, even if you close the top vent, the cooker is still getting some air and therefore your fire will not be "dirty".

Many folks never close that top vent, but I find it is the best way to get the temp down.

i took kevin's advice in the past and it worked wonders with no resulting flavor probelms. i can see where this might be a bad idea int he first hour or two of a smoke since all the thick smoke would get trapped, but later into it no problem at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back