Brine or not to brine, that is the question

I wet brined an enhanced butterball turkey this weekend using apple juice, kosher salt, and sugar. The 9 lb turkey was already injected with a x% of salt solution per written on the packaging. My Extra brining created a VERY salty tasting bird.
I will NEVER use a SALT brine on an already salt injected enhanced bird. Canola or olive oil rubbed on the skin and coated with your favorite rub is all that is needed for a nice skin and moist meat on an already enhanced bird.
Unenhanced bird (natural/organic) I would Definitely Brine and still oil the skin with a good rub.

I will NEVER use a SALT brine on an already salt injected enhanced bird.
My approach is to never use anything that's been "enhanced" by someone else. I want the raw ingredient and that's it. That way I know what's gone into it and what level of salt, sugar, etc. to expect in the finished product. I've had difficulty finding turkeys and even pork butts in some stores because they'd all been "enhanced" at the factory.

Can I interest you in a goose instead? We've got thousands of the pesky buggers hanging out all year and crapping all over the place.

He he. Come to think of it, there must be a hundred or more geese (Canadian) at a local graveyard pond - in some county parks - and even shopping centers and medical facility grounds. Watch your step.

Does anyone here smoke geese? Are they has moist as duck meat?

Last edited:

Back