Breaking in my "new" grill - Tri Tip

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I posted in Gas Grills that I decided to take my "parts" grill - '05 Summit Platinum D6 - and rehab it instead of the SP B4 I was working on. Since I got it into working shape today, I needed to break it in with a Tri tip! I visited CostCo today, and just couldn't bring myself to pay the freight for the Prime TT, but found a nicely marbled Choice version.....

1648260375696.jpeg

Hit it with some olive oil, and a generous coating of Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks.....

1648260401066.jpeg

I set the grill up with the two outside burners on low, and went indirect on the TT until 120F. Move the TT to the far right side, and set the two left burners on HIGH for 10 minutes, then commenced the sear.....

1648260470089.jpeg

After two minutes on each side, I brought her in for the rest.....

1648260488786.jpeg

Plated up with some CI shrooms, and leftover rice (add 1 Tbsp of Knorr Tomato Chicken Bouillon for each 1/2 cup of rice).....

1648260532190.jpeg

Delish! I'm going to like the real estate on this grill! I know it can be an LP hog, but I don't plan on running all the burners, so I think it won't be much different than my other gassers. Good stuff!! 😎

Rich

I posted in Gas Grills that I decided to take my "parts" grill - '05 Summit Platinum D6 - and rehab it instead of the SP B4 I was working on. Since I got it into working shape today, I needed to break it in with a Tri tip! I visited CostCo today, and just couldn't bring myself to pay the freight for the Prime TT, but found a nicely marbled Choice version.....

View attachment 47870

Hit it with some olive oil, and a generous coating of Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks.....

View attachment 47871

I set the grill up with the two outside burners on low, and went indirect on the TT until 120F. Move the TT to the far right side, and set the two left burners on HIGH for 10 minutes, then commenced the sear.....

View attachment 47872

After two minutes on each side, I brought her in for the rest.....

View attachment 47873

Plated up with some CI shrooms, and leftover rice (add 1 Tbsp of Knorr Tomato Chicken Bouillon for each 1/2 cup of rice).....

View attachment 47874

Delish! I'm going to like the real estate on this grill! I know it can be an LP hog, but I don't plan on running all the burners, so I think it won't be much different than my other gassers. Good stuff!! 😎

Rich
I don’t remember my last TT. This beef inflation has got to end. It’s so rare to eat beef these days for us. I just hate the prices.

If you like wine, I do marinate TT in a cup of Zinfandel wine overnight. Come out great with some SPG right before you grill it.

Dinner looks real good. Nicely presented.

Yes, please, Rich. If you could just slide that plate my way!

Tri tip is next to impossible to find back here. Costco carries them, but my closest one is like an hour away. It's one thing I have never cooked.

Yes, please, Rich. If you could just slide that plate my way!

Tri tip is next to impossible to find back here. Costco carries them, but my closest one is like an hour away. It's one thing I have never cooked.
If you drive, buy the bulk pack, usually 6-7 in a cryo. Buy 2, separate them and freeze them. TT is one of the best beef pieces and it’s super affordable compared to NY Strips and ribeye. And cook it Santa Maria style.

Rich,
Great first cook on the restored beast! My local source for Tri-Tip stopped getting them so now I am going to have to rely on Wild Fork to get my Tri-Tip. Daughter just asked about getting one yesterday, I told here maybe.... I need to get two because I want to do tri-tip tacos also...

Rich,
Great first cook on the restored beast! My local source for Tri-Tip stopped getting them so now I am going to have to rely on Wild Fork to get my Tri-Tip. Daughter just asked about getting one yesterday, I told here maybe.... I need to get two because I want to do tri-tip tacos also...
Crazy you can’t get them. What did they do with that meat? Do regional butchers cut different? Do they send the tri-tips to us??

Crazy you can’t get them. What did they do with that meat? Do regional butchers cut different? Do they send the tri-tips to us??
They probably ship them all to CA were we can be charged ridiculous amounts of money per pound for them! :)

R

Rich,
See if they have bottom sirloin.

Or flap steak. It my be butchered a little different, yet it's the same or close to the same.

I never heard of a Tri Tip before meeting you Cal Boys here on the TVWBB. It is a cut that is very very hard to find here on the east coast. I had two spots that somewhat carried it and one switched to carring Picanha which I have been getting and the other just stopped. I got the Wild Fork membership and have placed two orders recent and been really happy with everything so I will just have to use them. It was always nice because so few people knew what Tri Tip is that I could find them on sale often.

tri-tip and sale, like i never hear that in CA. but it used to be reasonably priced pre pando, like $3.35# untrimmed. Costco cryo is still the best deal and excellent quality TT too.

Honestly, like Michael I had barely heard of tri tip before joining this site. There are very few butchers around that carry it, and its origins are definitely more west coast than east.

Back