Bratwurst!

Cooked the brats on L-O-L for about 30 minutes

The onions were on the griddle for about 60 minutes.

532C463D-8807-4DDF-A7EE-88DAB725DDB6.jpeg

Curious how you liked them also I have a Lidl here pretty much the same as Aldi's. Pretty sure those were the same brand I bought from Lidl have to be honest really did not care for them hope you liked them all that counts.

Good looking German brats. How'd you like em?

I had the chance to work on a project in Berlin during the summer of 2005, and I brought my wife and two sons along. I worked during the day while they went sightseeing. At night we would have dinner out together.

These Aldi brats are very similar to what the street vendors sell over there, and I like them better than some of the more “Americanized” brats available around here- no good German butcher shops around, but a few excellent Polish shops- haven’t grilled any Kielbasa yet…hmmm, going to do that soon with some good sauerkraut.

The Aldi bratwurst were good, but I was hungry.

“Hunger is the best sauce”, as my mom says, lol.

These Aldi brats are very similar to what the street vendors sell over there, and I like them better than some of the more “Americanized” brats available around here- no good German butcher shops around, but a few excellent Polish shops- haven’t grilled any Kielbasa yet…hmmm, going to do that soon with some good sauerkraut.
Big difference between Johnsonville brats and German brats.
The white wurst turns off some Americans.

haven’t grilled any Kielbasa yet…hmmm, going to do that soon with some good sauerkraut.
I am half Polish have fond memories of my Dad going to a place can't remember made a white I call it white kind of like what your showing for those brats but it was Kielbasa they only made it twice a year Easter for sure I think and one other time of year. It was not as greasy as regular Kielbasa that was in MA never saw it again as I moved down south but I don't go to butcher shops.

The other fond memories of my mom is she used to make pierogi from scratch she was Italian but tried to make some Polish dishes. We never had it stuffed with mashed potatoes or whatever they sell it, she used kraut and Mushrooms fried it butter I think for the filling, god I loved those but she went back to work and stopping making them to much work she said.

Funny it really piqued my interest.
I will look for some white brats while out and about. Had to google Why are they white? Turns out it’s because they are not smoked. Interesting.

Last edited:
Also because they use no nitrates so no pink color.
But still raw sausage looks pink so it must be the ingredients they use to keep it white.

One night we were out walking and stopped into a small tavern that looked interesting to get some dinner.

The menu was all German. We were having a good time trying to communicate with the owner. Eventually he brought his small children from upstairs to translate.

I decided I was going to order without any help and saw “mit sauerkraut” and decided that’s what I would have.

The owner was a little surprised.

I remember a huge oval plate with a huge hunk of meat on a bone, with sauerkraut.

It was delicious.

I told one of my coworkers the next day - Eisbein is boiled / pickled leg of pig- the reason the owner was surprised was that it’s usually eaten during the Fall or Winter.

One of the most memorable dinners there, especially since my wife and kids thought it was hilarious that I ordered it.

Funny it really piqued my interest.
I will look for some white brats while out and about. Had to google Why are they white? Turns out it’s because they are not smoked. Interesting.
Its really to me a different taste some will love them some will not. On my end would never buy them again thought they were kind of tasteless if your correct about them not being smoked maybe that was the reason.

My wife is not a big brat eater kind of got her to try one since it really does not look like a brat we are used to ate about 1/3 of it in the trash. Again she is not a big brat eater.

Back