Brand new WSM on the way from Amazon

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone
I just joined the forum and and ordered and new WSM and I'm waiting to burn it in with a basket of charcoal "minion method" style and also observe how it functions .For my first cook
I plan on a lean pork tenderloin ,I'm trying to watch the fat intake. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I' hoping it won't dry out as I go low and slow with sand in my water pan . I will be continually monitoring the forum for Ideas and advise untill I recieve my WSM.
Thanks
Happy Fred in Cleveland Ohio

Great name!

Welcome aboard. You'll love the WSM as soon as you get it. Plenty of instruction and information already here, and you can get lots of help from the folks who visit this forum.

I got my WSM on Friday and assembled it on Saturday morning. However it was raining here all weekend, so I just left it sitting in the Living Room. By Sunday night I was getting used to it as a new piece of furniture? I mean it does look good when it is brand new!

This weekend I hope to break it in with some chicken to start. Looking at the manual, I am so glad I found this board. I would?ve been lost without it.

Hello
I recieved my new WSM yesterday and assembled it.
I was wondering if anyone put anything on the screws of their WSM to prevent seizing .
I want to make sure that if I need to retighten the leg or rack screws in the future that they would not be frozen.
I am looking forward to doing chicken or pork loin this weekend
Thank you ,Ienjoy reading all of the post here
Fred

Fred C

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll enjoy your WSM. I also have a concern for fat intake. Most of the things cooked low and slow on the WSM probably would not be on the top of the healthy heart diet. However, hopefully moderation is a key factor. I think chicken is good and if you remove the skin you'll greatly reduce the fat intake.

Pork tenderloin probably is not ideal to cook low and slow. I usually cook mine on a kettle. I sear it first and then finish it on indirect. Don't let the internal temp of the meat get too high. Check the charts, but lean pork doesn't have to be cooked as high as some believe. If you are going to use your new toy, you might consider an empty foiled lined water pan ? While I've never tried it, maybe you could sear the tenderloin on another grill and then use the WSM to cook it slow up to the desired internal temp ?

Hopefully all this incorrect info will encourage some more knowledable person on the site to respond.

Good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PRG

If you're going to do pork loin, brine it first. Otherwise it can be dry.

Soak it overnight (in the fridge) in 6 quarts of water that has 1 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar or honey dissolved in it. You won't believe what a differnce it makes.

I cut mine in half and put it in a good Ziplock bag, pour the brine in. Put it in a bowl in case it leaks.

Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred C.:
[qb]I was wondering if anyone put anything on the screws of their WSM to prevent seizing .
I want to make sure that if I need to retighten the leg or rack screws in the future that they would not be frozen.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not aware of anyone doing this.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back