Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

So, back to my 7/23 post.

Last night I did a test fire in prep for competition. I could totally recreate the jumping/nonresponsive servo issue if I push the 3.5mm plug ALL the way in... you know, that last little "click". However, I was running fine if the plug wasn't pushed in that last "click". Since the shoulder on the plug and the exposed metal on the jack are both ground, it doesn't make sense to me that having them touching would be a problem, but it is.

Anyone have a simlar problem?

Anyone have any ideas about source of problem?

Otherwise, the microdamper on a Chargriller Smokin' Pro was rock steady at 230-degF with 1/4 basket unlit + 1/4 basked lit Kingsford Blue, for the 2.5 hr test fire I did. Had Damper max @ 60% and fan on above 30%, and I sat at about 30% to 40% the whole time. I'm thinking of going upto 50%/50% so that the damper is fully open when the fan starts.

TIA,
Don

First of all, I'm glad you're having some good cooks on your offset smoker!

To address the problem you're having. I just played around with a small handful of male and female jacks, none of them actually seated fully to the point where the "shoulder" of the male jack touches the "stem" of the female jack. Since you are able to use your MicroDamper with full functionality, but (only) when you push it in "fully" does it start to act up, I'd have to guess that you have either a bad M or F jack or you having something loose in those connections that shorts out when you are pushing it in as far as you are.

Did my first cook with the microdamper on the Akorn today. I had the startup fan max at 100% and fan max 60%. Damper fully open at 100%. I didn't really like how much overshoot I got on startup, but it came down and settled out. After I put them on, I changed the fan to on above 25% and damper to fully open at 25% and didn't need the fan much at all throughout the cook. Spare ribs at 250 deg with a couple chunks of apple wood. 2.5 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hrs in foil, sauced and 30 mins out of the foil to set the sauce. Best ribs I've ever cooked. The flavor was exactly what I was looking for. They weren't falling off the bone, but could've stood to have a little more tug. I will lower the startup max next time, but I will definitely stick with the <25% damper only and fan on when >25%.

here's the graph: https://goo.gl/photos/zPVqUhQEpepJNepF9
ribs about to come off the grill: https://goo.gl/photos/TjSJF19t7gvZSCVc9
the cut: https://goo.gl/photos/qqvLhg7ReTNwLiys5
the bite: https://goo.gl/photos/PtRef9ukbxs1bxRN7

So, back to my 7/23 post.

Last night I did a test fire in prep for competition. I could totally recreate the jumping/nonresponsive servo issue if I push the 3.5mm plug ALL the way in... you know, that last little "click". However, I was running fine if the plug wasn't pushed in that last "click". Since the shoulder on the plug and the exposed metal on the jack are both ground, it doesn't make sense to me that having them touching would be a problem, but it is.

Anyone have a simlar problem?

Anyone have any ideas about source of problem?

Otherwise, the microdamper on a Chargriller Smokin' Pro was rock steady at 230-degF with 1/4 basket unlit + 1/4 basked lit Kingsford Blue, for the 2.5 hr test fire I did. Had Damper max @ 60% and fan on above 30%, and I sat at about 30% to 40% the whole time. I'm thinking of going upto 50%/50% so that the damper is fully open when the fan starts.

TIA,
Don

I wonder if this jack problem is similar to some of the temp probe jacks....ie...being just a tad longer than some of the others. I remember there being a problem I think last year when some new probes where introduced, the jacks where just that much longer and if pushed all the way into the jack, they didn't work.

Did my first cook with the microdamper on the Akorn today. I had the startup fan max at 100% and fan max 60%. Damper fully open at 100%. I didn't really like how much overshoot I got on startup, but it came down and settled out. After I put them on, I changed the fan to on above 25% and damper to fully open at 25% and didn't need the fan much at all throughout the cook. Spare ribs at 250 deg with a couple chunks of apple wood. 2.5 hours in the smoke, 1.5 hrs in foil, sauced and 30 mins out of the foil to set the sauce. Best ribs I've ever cooked. The flavor was exactly what I was looking for. They weren't falling off the bone, but could've stood to have a little more tug. I will lower the startup max next time, but I will definitely stick with the <25% damper only and fan on when >25%.

here's the graph: https://goo.gl/photos/zPVqUhQEpepJNepF9
ribs about to come off the grill: https://goo.gl/photos/TjSJF19t7gvZSCVc9
the cut: https://goo.gl/photos/qqvLhg7ReTNwLiys5
the bite: https://goo.gl/photos/PtRef9ukbxs1bxRN7

That's a monster overshoot! It's been probably 4 or 5 months since I've cooked on my Akorn (plan to sell it, but just so busy), but I checked my records I have startup max at 100% so I think perhaps you are just starting too large of a fire. Anyway, I wouldn't change how you start the fire, just play around with a smaller startup max that will meet your needs. Those were some good looking ribs too! I think you're right, maybe just a touch overdone from "the perfect bite" - you're a perfectionist like me.

I wonder if this jack problem is similar to some of the temp probe jacks....ie...being just a tad longer than some of the others. I remember there being a problem I think last year when some new probes where introduced, the jacks where just that much longer and if pushed all the way into the jack, they didn't work.

That's a possibility. This is def the first I've heard of this problem, and like I've stated above I didn't find any jacks from the handful that I tested that pushed together that far. Just unlucky I guess.

That's a monster overshoot! It's been probably 4 or 5 months since I've cooked on my Akorn (plan to sell it, but just so busy), but I checked my records I have startup max at 100% so I think perhaps you are just starting too large of a fire. Anyway, I wouldn't change how you start the fire, just play around with a smaller startup max that will meet your needs. Those were some good looking ribs too! I think you're right, maybe just a touch overdone from "the perfect bite" - you're a perfectionist like me.

I actually picked up some Weber starter cubes because I'd been told that the cotton ball method, which I've used since I got the Akorn over 3 years ago, may be lighting too much charcoal. I used half a starter cube and I feel like it lit more charcoal than a single cotton ball w/ isopropyl ever did. I'll either go to 1/4 of a cube or back to a single cotton ball. It's faster in the long run to bring it up slowly than to bring it up quick, overshoot, and wait for it to come back down.

Thanks for all the help. UDS is my next project.

I actually picked up some Weber starter cubes because I'd been told that the cotton ball method, which I've used since I got the Akorn over 3 years ago, may be lighting too much charcoal. I used half a starter cube and I feel like it lit more charcoal than a single cotton ball w/ isopropyl ever did. I'll either go to 1/4 of a cube or back to a single cotton ball. It's faster in the long run to bring it up slowly than to bring it up quick, overshoot, and wait for it to come back down.

Thanks for all the help. UDS is my next project.

Yeah I would find it hard to believe that a soaked cotton ball would last longer than a weber cube. I gave up on the weber cubes because cotton balls are so much cheaper and frankly easier and less messy. Perhaps 1/4 of a cube might be an equivalent, but what a PITA to split them, plus those cube flakes get everywhere.

Can someone post picture of the threaded end as it comes off the printer, and after cleanup. Had a buddy print mine, but threads aren't great, so I wanted to see what you guys (that printed yourselves) ended up with so I can get an idea about how it should look coming out.

I should note, there shouldn't be any need for any cleanup since there is no need to print with a raft or support.

Overnight USDA Prime brisket on my UDS. Wrapped it around 5:30 this morning. Using KBB Competition, PID 7. 0.01, 4. My best good friends are in for a delicious meal tonight!

Last edited:
I love the design of the microdamper, I finally bought one and am super excited to use it. I'm interested in finding solutions for mounting this to a WSM without cutting holes in the smoker. Does anybody have a picture or ideas they can share for installing a microdamper on a WSM or similar cooker without cutting holes?

As far as I know most people are drilling holes into their WSM because it's very simple, cheap and foolproof. You can also do the "dog bowl" method (might try searching for a photo). Basically you take a small stainless steel dog bowl, drill a 1" hole to thread a nipple to connect to the MD, then attach the dog bowl over a daisy wheel. You secure the dog bowl using a bolt through the bowl and a daisy hole and use some hi-temp silicone to seal the bowl to the WSM.

Here are some photos a buddy from TVWBB (Aristotle Allen) allowed me to post up in reference to the dog bowl. His is attached to a 22" WSM. Click for larger photos.

Last edited:
That's pretty nice. Thanks for sharing these photos, this helps out a lot. Looks like I'm off to petco :) I'll post a small write up when I'm done to help anybody that may have a similar question.

I just picked up all three of these items at Ace Hardware for my WSM that I bought a little over a month ago. Cost me $4.99 for the bowl, $1.79 for bolt and anchor, and $2.29 for the pipe nipple. Pretty cheap! I used some left over nomex gasket (no affiliation - link just for reference) on the perimeter of the bowl to make a really nice seal to my WSM.

Back