Bradford Pear Tree

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
My parents house had storm damage and lost a Bradford pear tree. Can I use this for smoke wood? I have not seen it mentioned on the board before.

You'll often see the statement made, "If you can eat the fruit or nut of the tree, you can use it for smoke wood."

A Bradford Pear doesn't have any fruit or nuts to eat...which is probably why Shawn asked the question.

I, too, have two large Bradfor Pear trees, and have been wondering the same thing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
My parents house had storm damage and lost a Bradford pear tree. Can I use this for smoke wood? I have not seen it mentioned on the board before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, I read somewhere else online that Bradford pear wood is suitable for smoking, but it does tend to burn rather hot. I have no 1st hand experience with this variety of pear wood, so this is only hearsay.
I do have some pear wood (unknown variety) on hand, and I like it a lot. It's a lot like apple, maybe a bit milder.
Nice stuff.

Jim

--

Thanks for info and links everyone. I always wondered about this since it is a "pear" tree but does not have fruit or nuts. I think I might experiment with it and will report back my results. Anyone ever actualy use it before?

Actually, they do bear fruit, but not necessarily every year. At 3/4" in diameter, some may not recognize them as fruit, let alone pears. Some birds and probably deer will eat them, but likely only when other more preferable food sources aren't plentiful. The best part of the deal may be that your parents now have a chance to plant a better tree in its place.

Back