Bracing the WSM legs

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
After almost losing all my food for Smoke Day,I decided to brace the legs. I bought a piece of aluminum,1/8" X 1 1/4" X 48". Unfortunately,it wouldn't go arount the outside of the legs(49 1/2" around). So,I cut it into 16" lengths,and attached it to the inside of the legs,thus. I also had to replace one of the wheels. It got melted while doing the hot squat save!

what ?
icon_eek.gif

Yeah,it's in the Smoke Day section. When I did the hot squat,some coals fell out and melted one of the wheels. But it's feeling much better now!

Yes they are the stock legs. One of the holes wasn't centered,so with all the weight(3 butts and a 12 lb brisket), it wasn't supported directly under the legs. But I got it fixed.

i looked at a earlier pic and it looks like the legs were already bent or deformed cuz they sure don't look normal. that may be the reason.

That was a smart idea Phil.
The stock WSM legs are very stable, as they have contact with the ground which causes friction.
When using 3 unlocking wheels, and a good amount of mass loaded on, I could see a reason for the legs to splay, or bend out..
I read your other post.. Nice save!

Tim

Looks like a good idea, does it seem to work pretty well?

I've also done the casters mounted directly to the legs thing and find it to be stressful on the legs, I was thinking mount it to a platform but this is cleaner.

Nice use of aluminum Phil.

I used half inch galv pipe to sturdy up my legs:

WSMmod-009ul.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It got melted while doing the hot squat save! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? I haven't tried that one yet. Do you need more than one player?

I'm guessing weber designed that cheesy little drip pan for more than catching drips. I was going to ditch it when I put on wheels but think I'll wire it to the lets so it doesnt' keep falling off when I dump it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris E:
I'm guessing weber designed that cheesy little drip pan for more than catching drips. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not a drip pan, it's a heat shield. Not sure that those little slits that hold the heat shield in place are strong enough to provide support to legs with casters added.

Regards,
Chris

Back