Bourbon Chicken Adapted to pork

Chuck Anderson

I am going to do some pulled pork sandwiches Sunday. Has anyone used some variation of a bourban chicken recipe on smoked pork for more of a sweeter brown flavor as opposed to a red peppery sauce for the meat?

To what bourbon chicken recipe are you referring?

There are numerous sauce possibilities other than peppery, vinegary or tomato-y ones.

LeAnn Chinn restaurants have a bourbon chicken that's real good. Something similar that we've found and use on chicken is a combination of Lawry's teriaki sauce and brown sugar.

Ah, the 'Chinese' version?

Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a medium pot.

Meanwhile, mince 3 cloves of garlic finely (or run through a press). Slice 3-4 quarter-sized 'coins' of fresh ginger (or measure 1 teaspoon powder). Mince 2-3 scallions - white and light green parts only. Measure out 6 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons apple juice, and 4 tablespoons bourbon.

Put the garlic into the heated oil and cook just till fragrant, about 30 seconds - don't let it brown. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.

Stir in 6 tablespoons brown sugar. Stir well to dissolve then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook 5 min.

For a thicker sauce mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water into a smooth slurry. Add a little at a time while the sauce is simmering, stirring in well, and checking consistency. Add a little more if desired.

Adjust salt by adding more soy sauce.

Adjust brown sugar to taste.

OK here's my reason for asking. Probably 10 years ago I was at a men's event at a church in Des Moines. They served a pulled pork sandwich that I have remembered to this day. It was smoked and, tho it was a long time ago it seemed to me it had a similar taste to the bourban chicken in the oriental restaurant. It was juicy but not smothered in any sauce. Is there a way to adapt that recipe or something like it for pulled pork. I hope to be able to make pulled pork that I enjoyed as much as that sandwich.

Yes. Try the following:

Make the recipe as written but do not make it thick - shoot for the thickness of a thin syrup (so use the cornstarch slurry only if necessary, and only use a little of it at a time till the consistency is achieved). Since you like it, add a little teriyaki sauce - say 2-3 tablespoons - to the pot with the other ingredients. Adjust sweetness and salt as noted.

Purée the sauce in a blender till smooth when it's done. Reserve.

Rest the pork when it's done, as usual, foiled. When ready to pull the pork unwrap it, and if there are any juices in the foil add a tablespoon or two of them to the reserved sauce.

Reheat the sauce before use.

As you pull the pork, transfer it to a bowl or roasting pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce to every large handful of pulled pork, mixing/stirring it in as you go. Taste for salt and moistness when finished, adding a little more sauce if you'd like, and a little more salt - or a little Lawry's if you prefer - to taste. Serve.

Thanks, sounds good. I will probably give it a try. I'm starting the smoker tonight to make some pulled pork for a gathering tomorrow. I don't know if I can make it work this time but will try nit in the future.

Back