Bought my first TWO weber grills.

I havent been smart about ordering parts. I did a quick inventory and have just been ordering replacement parts immediately for missing or damaged parts instead of thinking about sourcing or repairing them. Thats a big part of why my expenses have been so high and something i can learn from for the next removation.

So, hard to explain without pictures and im at my daughters soccer game right now, so i cant take pictures. So in all the diagrams i can find online of the Silver b manifold to gas line connections. There is a little brass adapter type of thing attached between the manifold and gas lines. My manifold is missing that and i couldnt find the part available on its own.

Doh, that's why I was saying to slow down. All you needed was a little brass fitting that's available at Home Depot or just about any hardware store for $3 or less. Pretty sure this is the one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...Union-3-8-in-FL-x-1-4-in-MIP-801539/207176766

If you can't find the 1/4 to 3/8 single fitting, then step it down with a coupler as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ca...-1-4-in-Set-Reducer-Bushing-AP31073/202560191

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

The firebox is only held to the frame with one bolt? On my silver b, this bolt is almost rusted away and pulls out by hand, on the 1000, it seems to be rusted solid to the firebox. I may have to drill it out. Anyone know the size bolt i will need to replace it?

Second question: pulling the sides off the hood. With the genesis silver, i dont even see the ends of the screws, with the 1000....is there a cap over them?

That bolt is a 3/8 IIRC. One thing you absolutely do NOT want to do is hit it with a punch on the fire box side. That aluminum is VERY brittle and will shatter like glass (just ask me how I know LOL. I cannot visualize what you're asking on the second question

Thanks that helps. Be very careful removing that screw ( i may just leave it and paint around the frame)

2nd question is basically......how do you take apart the hood?

Doh, that's why I was saying to slow down. All you needed was a little brass fitting that's available at Home Depot or just about any hardware store for $3 or less. Pretty sure this is the one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...Union-3-8-in-FL-x-1-4-in-MIP-801539/207176766

If you can't find the 1/4 to 3/8 single fitting, then step it down with a coupler as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ca...-1-4-in-Set-Reducer-Bushing-AP31073/202560191

My local Home Depot has SIX!

Ok, cancelled order. Luckily one of the items in that order was 'on order' so it wasn't ready to ship yet. Do i use plumbers tape(Teflon wrap) when i install this fitting? or is there a specialty propane 'plumbers tape' i should use?

You just saved me about $100! Thank you!

Last edited:
ON that little 1/8" brass fitting I recommend using PTFE Dope for gas piping. Tape is too hard to get right on those tiny little fittings

My local Home Depot has SIX!

Ok, cancelled order. Luckily one of the items in that order was 'on order' so it wasn't ready to ship yet. Do i use plumbers tape(Teflon wrap) when i install this fitting? or is there a specialty propane 'plumbers tape' i should use?

You just saved me about $100! Thank you!

You're welcome!!

Ok definately not 1/4 inch. I tried both od and id 1/4 inch and neither fit on either of my grills. Tomorrow ill check out 1/8 to 3/8 flair.

Seth, just an FYI, but I grabbed those numbers from your earlier post. Push comes to shove, do it the good old fashioned way. Take out your existing manifold, throw it in a bag with the regulator hose and take them both up to Home Depot with you. Go to the plumbing section first and mix/match fittings until you get a solution that works. If you can't find the right fittings there, go over to where the power washers are and you might find some more fittings.

Also, if the dope doesn't work out, there's a special tape for gas fittings, I believe it's pink instead of white iirc.

The tape is yellow and it does not work well on small fittings like this (it's too thick to properly seal the threads). PTFE pipe dope for GAS is the only way to truly seal it correctly. The fitting is 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread). On larger fittings (over 1/4" NPT) the yellow tape works just fine. Smaller use the dope. Trust me on this.

So far, replacement parts i've ordered for these two grills

Genesis 1000:
Burners, regulator and fuel line, ignitor, drip tray rails, foil drip tray liners, warming basket, warming grate and thermometer

Genesis Silver b:
Burners, manifold, flavorizer bars, grates, warming basket, warming grate, thermometer, cabinet base

I think thats everything.

This has change a bit, what i now have ordered is:
Burners (1000 LX) (Already installed)
Ignition (1000 LX) (Already installed)
Regulator & Hose (1000 LX)
Thermometer (1000 LX)
Burners (Silver B)
Flavorizers (Silver B)
Adapter & Regulator/Hose (Silver B)
Warming Racks & Drip tray Rails

Canceled the order for the Manifold, Thermometer, warming basket, grates, warming grates & Cabinet Base for the Genesis Silver B. I instead ordered this from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPK76G/tvwb-20

The Drip tray rails, and warming racks will fit either grill, i'll use them on the one i'm keeping, which i'm not sure which one it will be yet.(I like the 1000 LX, my daughter prefers the Silver B).

The Cabinet base, i may either completely remove and replace with a base grate from a 2004 or earlier model, or find a new/used replacement. If i go with the Grates, i lose the doors, so i don't want to do that unless i absolutely have to, but it may be the smart(cheap) move. Thinking about it a little more, i may just paint it and not worry until it completely falls out.

Not counting cleaning supplies(Because i didn't keep track of those costs) and including the costs of the grills and the cover i'm at about $160 per grill total cost right now. Really NOT that bad. BUT, i still want(Not need) to order RCPlanebuyers Flavorizer bars for the 1000 LX and i would like (one step below want) to order RCPlanebuyer Stainless Grates also for the 1000 LX. One set of grates that came with the two grills cleaned up pretty well, but the other had physical damage, dents and cracks.

Last edited:
Good deal. Those costs are much more in line now. Keep the 1000, sell the Silver B, reason being is that Silver Bs are a dime a dozen, so to speak. Use any profits from the Silver B to help pay for the bars/grates from RC.

This has change a bit, what i now have ordered is:
Burners (1000 LX) (Already installed)
Ignition (1000 LX) (Already installed)
Regulator & Hose (1000 LX)
Thermometer (1000 LX)
Burners (Silver B)
Flavorizers (Silver B)
Adapter & Regulator/Hose (Silver B)
Warming Racks & Drip tray Rails

Canceled the order for the Manifold, Thermometer, warming basket, grates, warming grates & Cabinet Base for the Genesis Silver B. I instead ordered this from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPK76G/tvwb-20

The Drip tray rails, and warming racks will fit either grill, i'll use them on the one i'm keeping, which i'm not sure which one it will be yet.(I like the 1000 LX, my daughter prefers the Silver B).

The Cabinet base, i may either completely remove and replace with a base grate from a 2004 or earlier model, or find a new/used replacement. If i go with the Grates, i lose the doors, so i don't want to do that unless i absolutely have to, but it may be the smart(cheap) move. Thinking about it a little more, i may just paint it and not worry until it completely falls out.

Not counting cleaning supplies(Because i didn't keep track of those costs) and including the costs of the grills and the cover i'm at about $160 per grill total cost right now. Really NOT that bad. BUT, i still want(Not need) to order RCPlanebuyers Flavorizer bars for the 1000 LX and i would like (one step below want) to order RCPlanebuyer Stainless Grates also for the 1000 LX. One set of grates that came with the two grills cleaned up pretty well, but the other had physical damage, dents and cracks.

So with the adapters i received today, i now have two fully functional grills! Woohoo!!

Now all thats left is cosmetic. Ive done some scraping and cleaning, but i still need to do some more. Left to do is more scraping of loose paint (around the handle), cleaning the enamel on the hood, repainting everything and to figure out what im doing with the accessory tray on the Silver B. I could buy the part linked below, paint it and forget it, or pull it and put a grate there and lose the doors.

The flavorizers and grates dont look perfect, but, they are solid and are functionally perfect.

Accessory Tray:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1477042.html

Reminder to myself. Make sure you strip as much paint as you can off the outside of the grill before repainting. If you dont it will be very obvious where you didnt take enough off and you will need to start all over.

Back