Bought a pressure washer and weed torch

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bit the bullet and decided to get a pressure washer for cleaning inside and outside my Klose pit. Wal-Mart has a great deal on a Campbell-Hausfeld 2200 psi 6.0 HP model for $300. I didn't want to waste my time on a 1400 or 1700 psi electric model.

Maybe I can use them too for cleaning the WSM's when they get really messy.

I also ordered a small 22,000 BTU Weed Torch from Northern Tool for burning off crud from the racks when I don't feel like cleaning the entire pit or setting up the pressure washer. That was only $40. I already have a case and a half of the disposable propane bottles that I want to use up. It isn't as good as those 500,000 BTU models, but I already have those disposable bottles to use up. If this one doesn't work very well, I will eventually buy a 20 lb or 40 lb bottle and the 500,000 BTU model. I'll wait and see how this one works out.

Hey Rocky,
If I were you I wouldn't use the pressure washer on the inside of my pit.The reason being I've been there done that.I used to use a pressure washer on my pit when I was finished cooking on it.The inside of the pit will start rusting by the end of the day.Then I would have to go back with about 7 cans of cooking spray and oil the inside back down.If I were you I would use the weed burner to clean the crud off and use a steel brush to finish off the rest on the cooking grids.There's nothing to protect the inside from rusting expect the grease left behind or the oil you put on it.
Just a Opinion,
Willy T.
p.s.- You know when you get that new pit your going to have to break it in by inviting everybody over for a bash..lol...

That's quite odd because I have a friend that pressure washed his 48" Klose pit for 2 years and never had a spot of rust, and he has been pressure washing his 30" x 8' mobile pit for over a year now and never had any rust. In fact, he just called me while I was reading this. I asked him about it again. He says that as soon as he is done using the pressure washer, he fires up the pit nice and hot to evaporate all the moisture. pats it down with a towel, and sprays a light coating of pam or peanut oil on the surface. With the mobile pit, he will drive it around for a few miles than light the fire etc....
Now, he doesn't pressure wash the pit after every time he cooks on it. He says maybe about every 4-6 cooks he will pressure wash it. He uses the torch and wire brush the rest of the time for the racks.
I never intended to use the pressure washer every time I cooked on the pit. LOL

Bet you can get some crispy skin on chicken with a 22,000 BTU weed torch! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have fun with the new accessories,
Chris

I have a feeling that the 22,000 BTU torch's flame is too small for torching large area of the racks thoroughly. I might have to eventually get a 20 lb propane tank and the 500,000 BTU torch which puts out a large flame that covers alot of area in a short period of time. The torch itself doesn't cost any more than the 22,000 BTU model. I think a 20 lb bottle costs about $25.

Hey Willy T,
After talking more with my friend Gary, he explained to me that 9 times out of 10, he removes the pullout Racks from his pit and then pressure washes them. About once every 6 months he pressure washes from just above the tuning plates on down. But above the tuning plates, he always uses a torch and/or a brush. Dave says you can shoot the pressure washer through the firebox door and under the tuning plates.

Sorry about any confusion I caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back