Bought a couple chucks

This will only be my second time. I was under the assumption you treat them like a brisket and take them closer to 200. Which is what I did last time. I would be under the assumption cooking only to 130 would not break down the fat and collagen. Last time I forgot about it and wrapped it at like 185. I also pushed my temps because I did not allow enough time for it to do it's thing. My plan this time is to really let go low and slow. Figuring to take it to 150ish, then wrap with paper and foil then let it keep going until closer to 200 and slice it after a long rest.
Have you done them? How do you do them?

I cook my Chuck Roasts to 200 / 210, but then I shred it. I think you're right about going to 185 for slicing. It's been awhile since I did a Chuck Roast, I've got my eye out for a Beef Clod (Food Maxx)

One last thing I forgot to say, if you're going to take them to 200, I would wrap them in foil around 165 or so with some beef broth and anything else you might like infused into the meat. I know, I know, it sounds like it should be against the law to wrap when cooking on a pellet grill, but I have to confess, it's the best way to go (imho)

One last thing I forgot to say, if you're going to take them to 200, I would wrap them in foil around 165 or so with some beef broth and anything else you might like infused into the meat. I know, I know, it sounds like it should be against the law to wrap when cooking on a pellet grill, but I have to confess, it's the best way to go (imho)
Oh, yeah I do wrap. The first time I simply forgot and wrapped too late in the process.

Italian beef is one thing I know how to do. Learned at my grnadma's knees :D My forays into this adventure are only to learn how to get a nice tender smoked roast, but I appreciate the tip

I smoked a chuck roast a long time ago for sliced smoked beef sandwiches. It took about as long as a brisket to smoke. While it was very good, for the time involved, I would rather just smoke a brisket point.
1684607618463.jpeg

Well roast is on at Super Smoke. Thankfully though the display does not operate on the control panel, the function buttons do work and the app works. So I am sure it's simply the LCD that is at fault. So I am monitoring through the app
Plan is to take the chuck to 150-160 then off, wrap in butcher and foil wrap, and back on at 275 or so to target 190 to 200 or until tender to a probe.
We shall see. It does put an impressive amount of smoke. Using Costco pellets BTW
Note the display showing it's "gibberish"

20230520_132720.jpg

Used to buy the 7 bone chuckies for pulling or Mississippi pot roast but haven't seen one in a long time.
Dominick's was the last store I bought one from.

IDK if you have them where you live but there is a smaller chain known as Valli's. Used to be a nearly straight up Italian market but not any more. For some reason it's become more of a Mexican/Middle Eastern/Indian grocery. But, there are still a few things there. I don't shop there very often anymore because so much of their food items are imported from China and I have no use for that. But, I see the 7 bones, and other bone in varieties of chuckies in there quite often. But honestly the only times I go in there now is not for meat items. They're the only place I can find some specific European food items i.e. Garanoro flours both 00 and semolina for my pasta making among other things. But, if you have one there or a Caputo's or some such market you could find them.
Progress report. Grill is holding a rock steady 220 at moment. Don't think it's varied more than +or- 5 deg. Even with the bad controller it holds rock steady. Smokes like a champ as well. I have not opened it to peek. Not gonna until I pull for the wrap

Ok, sorry did not take photos. Sadly not my finest work. I am still learning the finer art of smoking chuckies. What I did. Low "super smoke" for about 1.5 hours. Raised grill temp to 220. Ran like that until about 155 made a "broth" of 1/2 tsp of Better than Bouillon Beef, 3 tbs water and about 1/4 cup red wine, Made a boat with parchment and double foil, put meat in there poured sauce over raised temp to 325 and cooked wrapped to 180ish. Left meat in grill and set to "keep warm" allowing temps to slowly come down until about 200, pulled and rested in juice for 45 min. Had one helluva great tasting roast but was kinda dry, tough and "chewy". But great taste and great "pan sauce". I'm thinking maybe I shoulda pulled it about 20 or 30 deg sooner? IDK. Like I said. Still learning. I think next chuckie will come off 150ish and rest. Thoughts? Or maybe I should just give up on chuck?

I’m watching this for suggestions. I’ve tried these on WSM, kettle and WSK. My reaults have been like yours….flavor is there but texture/tenderness needs a lot improvement. I see vids of people nailing these all the time either shredding or burnt end style. I want to figure these out becauae they’re such a low cost piece of meat. That Italian beef recipe looks promising.

I really want to nail it for brisket style cooking. Even though I can buy a whole prime brisket for really cheap at Costco, I can't figure out what to do with all that meat. Chucks are perfect from size standpoint. Unless someone has a suggestion for another cut I can do a L&S on like a brisket, gives me that same eating quality, but I don't have to cook half a steer worth of food

I really want to nail it for brisket style cooking. Even though I can buy a whole prime brisket for really cheap at Costco, I can't figure out what to do with all that meat. Chucks are perfect from size standpoint. Unless someone has a suggestion for another cut I can do a L&S on like a brisket, gives me that same eating quality, but I don't have to cook half a steer worth of food
A couple things I do differently, not saying it's right or wrong, your mileage may vary. I cook my chucks at 250 from start to finish. I spritzer them every 45 minutes, and wrap them around 165/170 in foil with good amount of beef broth and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Basically the chuck is now braising. I've had good success doing so. I think that the parchment paper worked against you, I know your reasoning, and can only suggest finding a foil that you're OK with direct contact to the meat. One of my favorite things to smoke L&S is just the brisket point. You probably can't get the point by it's self at Costco, but I'm sure you can find it in the store. The point alone is generally cheaper per pound than a chuck, at least here on the left coast

Lastly, you might have been able to pull yours sooner, however shredding takes place best at 200 or better and I really think the secret is to wrap it in foil and with a generous amount of beef broth. The red wine might have contributed to some of the dryness, that's a WAG on my part. That's a cool smoker

A couple things I do differently, not saying it's right or wrong, your mileage may vary. I cook my chucks at 250 from start to finish. I spritzer them every 45 minutes, and wrap them around 165/170 in foil with good amount of beef broth and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Basically the chuck is now braising. I've had good success doing so. I think that the parchment paper worked against you, I know your reasoning, and can only suggest finding a foil that you're OK with direct contact to the meat. One of my favorite things to smoke L&S is just the brisket point. You probably can't get the point by it's self at Costco, but I'm sure you can find it in the store. The point alone is generally cheaper per pound than a chuck, at least here on the left coast

Lastly, you might have been able to pull yours sooner, however shredding takes place best at 200 or better and I really think the secret is to wrap it in foil and with a generous amount of beef broth. The red wine might have contributed to some of the dryness, that's a WAG on my part. That's a cool smoker
Thing that is weird is it turned into a brick. IDK why parchment would work against it. I did pour in a braising liquid. I noticed after that the chcuks from Costco are "blade tenderized". I wonder if that somehow wrecks the meat for L&S/end braise? This was only my second attempt and both were with Costco chucks. Maybe I should try one from elsewhere that's not "tenderized". I really wish they would not do that to their meats. One more reason I try to only buy primals there. If I want a "cut" I will go to Sam's. They don't alter their meat. Also I have never temp'd a chuck I have done in the dutch oven. Maybe I should. Then I would possibly know the temp they get tender at. Never had a bad chuck out of my dutch oven or my pressure cooker

Back